305 Turbodiesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

305 Turbodiesel

Post by reblack68 »

We are thinking of installing a 1988 405 TD engine into a 1988 305GLD estate when the warmer weather comes.
As far as I can tell it should be a simple conversion other than the exhaust and intercooler. I reckon the exhaust will just be a matter of some creative pipework but I'm unsure about how I am going to facilitate a flow of air to the intercooler. If it doesn't get a flow of cold air it'll become an interheater, rendering it worse than useless. I really don't want to cut any holes in the car.
Any ideas?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Front mounted intercooler? Any space to squeeze (Xantia?) one in front of the radiator?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philhoward</i>

Front mounted intercooler? Any space to squeeze (Xantia?) one in front of the radiator?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's a possibility. I've seen a picture of this one with the intercooler in the 405 place, I'll try emailing the owner to see what he did.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

A top mounted intercooler definately isn't any good without the "twin skin" bonnet which ducts the air from the front to the intercooler, unless it's possible to graft the underskin from a BX/ZX/306 to the underside of the 305 bonnet? Don't know if it's a metal or cardboard/fibre skin on the underside, though...possibility?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That's what I was hoping for. A bit of research in some scrapyards is in order methinks. BX would be worth a look, whatever it has must be pretty lightweight to hang onto that plastic bonnet.