Partner DW8 Struggles on hills and at high speed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

js225
My Cars: 2002 Peugeot Partner 1.9D in White (My Dad's Van)
2017 Suzuki Celerio SZ2 in White

Partner DW8 Struggles on hills and at high speed

Post by js225 »

Good Afternoon guys,

Got a set of weird issues with my dad's DW8 Partner that I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out what is causing it.

Firstly whenever you are going up a hill or trying to build up speed past 35 mph even with your foot down it misfires really heavily with a lot of black smoke. Weirdly every now and again it will gain power out of thin air and catch you off guard.

Tried unplugging the EGR and it ran like a bag of spanners so we know that is functional at the very least. Also unplugged the Maf sensor, temperature sensor (it kicked on the fan as expected) and all of it is working as it should be.

Also it has recently developed a problem with what I suspect is the glowplug relay where it either takes 2-3 attempts of turning the ignition on and off to get the glowplugs to work or you have to roll it down a hill.

One night in particular it was struggling we rolled it down the hill to get the glowplugs running and it started but it was really rough while the engine started and completely covered a carpark full of thick black smoke :rofl2:

The Final issue is an intermittent one where if you have the drivers side door open and you blip the accelerator it causes the dashboard lights to flicker and the door open beeper to sound as if you've just opened the door.

I have videos of when it covered a carpark full of smoke and when the dashboard flickers if you need to see what is happening.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Partner DW8 Struggles on hills and at high speed

Post by sparksie »

My gut is screaming "common cause" and "grounding issues" at me.
Try a temporary ground from body to block, perhaps using a jump lead.
If the glow plugs are reliable with the temporary ground in place, I suspect the body ground, usually from the gearbox to the chassis, has a stress fracture in it, which is opening when the engine moves, causing all manner of problems.
This might solve the power problems too.
Let us know how you get on
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Check the airfilter is clean, and the pipework from it to the manifold hasn't collapsed. Black smoke = not enough air/too much fuel.

Check the earths for the steering column, you may need to pop the airbag off the wheel to do this. It's the earthing for the Comms2000 unit, and it's a common Berlingo/Partner issue . "They all do that sir..."
js225

Post by js225 »

Thank you for everyone’s suggestions I really appreciate it.

I’ll get my dad to see me after work and I’ll give them tips a try. We have a pair of jump leads to try the ground trick.

Many thanks again
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

You can check the steering column is earthed by clamping a jump lead round it, and attaching the other end to one of the bolts on the bulkhead by the brake pedal... that will stop your electronic issues if they are caused by that..
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Michel wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:58 Check the airfilter is clean, and the pipework from it to the manifold hasn't collapsed. Black smoke = not enough air/too much fuel.

Or, to be pedantic, incompletely burned fuel, which can be caused by non functioning glow plugs in a cold engine.
In conjunction with the stated erratic GP performance and other electrical gremlins, I doubt the air filter scenario, in this case.
Yes, the column ground is certainly a strong possibility, so the jump lead can be used here too, but don't drive with it in place.
It sounds as though you're working outdoors, like me nowadays, so I hope the weather over there is as nice as it is here, right now!
Keep us posted with your progress
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

sparksie wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 01:09
Michel wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:58 Check the airfilter is clean, and the pipework from it to the manifold hasn't collapsed. Black smoke = not enough air/too much fuel.

Or, to be pedantic, incompletely burned fuel, which can be caused by non functioning glow plugs in a cold engine.

It wouldn't do this once on the move at 35mph though.. I've seen Berlingos with sodden aitfilters and damaged hoses with smoke issues. Hell, I owned one..
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

True, but the only instance of smoke we've been told about involved repeated failure to start and eventual bump starting on a hill, with no glow.
The 35mph was with regard to a lack of power and misfiring.
This can certainly be caused by air/fuel problems, but can also be caused by electrical failures causing the stopper to engage on a conventional injector pump, or the ecu to malfunction on common rails.
Given the other symptoms we've been told about, which are definitively electrical, I think looking for a common cause is the best course, in this case.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

sparksie wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 22:15 True, but the only instance of smoke we've been told about involved repeated failure to start and eventual bump starting on a hill, with
The 35mph was with regard to a lack of power and misfiring.

No, he says lots of black smoke at 35mph when trying to accelerate. It's getting fuel which rules out the stop solenoid...
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Okay, my mistake.
Must read more carefully.
Still feel this is more likely to be electrical, however.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
js225

Post by js225 »

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long delay in answering me and my dad have been busy recently.

We have a bit of an update on the van.

We have tried injector cleaner and it didn’t do anything.

However when we tried Catalytic cleaner it seemed to make the engine a bit better when driving at 30 round town for a while but still smoking a bit.

Today we found out a new pope had been elected. The van smokes white when driving along normally but if revved hard when stationary it smokes black. Something is deffo not right.

When I have some free time I’ll try out the suggestions above.

Many thanks again,
Js225
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

White-grey smoke is either unburned fuel, or coolant (glycol) getting into a cylinder and being combusted.
Black smoke is over-fuelling.
Blue smoke is engine oil being burned.
Chris