My headlights are awesome, like candles

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

madmaxgav

My headlights are awesome, like candles

Post by madmaxgav »

Good morning all. So, last night on a standard trip back from Scarborough to home my headlights on the coupe decided they only wanted point about 6 feet infront of the car. Not so much of a problem normally, but pitch black country roads, 0c, hail rain and heavy wind, certainly made it a sometimes point the car in a direction and hope for the best kind of drive.

I did pull over at one point and cycled the ignition along with headlight stalk until I saw them level out to where they should be... as soon as I moved the car, back to pointing down again.
I use the term headlights loosely, passengers side doesn't seem too bad and only drops slightly, but the drivers side is stupidly bad.
I was thinking level rod possibly snapped or dropped off, but that would effect both lights I'd assume? Or any common issues with these lights that anyone can think of?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: My headlights are awesome, like candles

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You have Xenon lights (non-directional) on your car, so it will be fitted with front and rear body height sensors on the front and rear axles.

So the first thing I would do is make sure that the linkage on these and the dog & bone fitting is rust free and not seized. A good clean up can help.

But logically, I would expect that if it was the sensor then it would be affecting both headlamps, so I am leaning towards the actual headlamp corrector itself or the ECU (number 3 in the diagram.
Madmaxgav corrector.PNG
(1): HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT SENSOR
(2): HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT SENSOR
(3): HEADLIGHT AUTO-ADJUSTMENT UNIT

IF you have access to Diagbox or Peugeot Planet 2000 I would first get it checked with that to see if there are any clues - check for faults related to the body height correctors or the headlight ECU first - and try some actuator tests to check operation. If the tests are working and ther are no faults, then check wiring to the offending headlight and check all electrical connections are nice and clean with some electrical contact cleaner. It is also possible the corrector unit in the headlamp may be faulty.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'm glad to see that you're using awe in its correct sense.

As in being filled with awe and dread. Because you're in grave danger of meeting your maker.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Marc, you seriously have to stop giving me good news bud :rofl2:
I've attached a pic or 2 at various distances on the car park at work. Maybe it isn't the level after all? Is it me, or does the drivers side look to be pointing way way over to the passengers side??
Attachments
20181217_174745.jpg
20181217_180926.jpg
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Take a roll of cooking foil with you, so you can quickly cover up one headlight at a time, to see exactly what each one is doing. A bit of chalk on the wall can help too.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it's a little hard to tell Gav, but bear in mind that the right hand dipped beam is aimed away from oncoming vehicles - so maybe the best way to know for sure is to call into a local ATS with an MOT testing station and ask them for a quick beam alignment check - they will be able to confirm if they are kosher or not - and if they are a little out, should be able to adjust the aim for you. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

My next thoughts exactly. Deal with a few mot stations so I'll be calling a favour in tomorrow to see what's what.
Level wise they look about right, as in the same level. But now I've noticed the lack of light to the drivers side properly, driving home I may as well be running on sidelight at that side