Mysterious drivetrain rumble - how to find?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Mysterious drivetrain rumble - how to find?

Post by Wookey »

I have a mysterious drivetrain rumble, and am wondering how I work out which bit it is.

1997 Expert TD van, 158000 miles, so getting a bit tired. Have owned since 2000 and not had any drivetrain trouble - just had to replace the gaiters in last few years. Or put another way everything is old. Oh yes, and it's the original NA gearbox with a 1994 Xantia TD engine (changed in 2003).

So, about 2000 miles ago, heading out to Austria for the summer, I noticed a wheel-bearing sort of rumble on the motorway. Bum, I thought, can't fix that for a while. I initially thought it was a wheel bearing, but there is no sign of a different noise when cornering in either direction. Noise is road-speed related, not engine-speed related. A rumbling noise rather than actual vibration. Same in and out of gear. Acceleration/deceleration doesn't obviously make a difference. Rolling down a hill just the same as driving along. So I think that mean bearings, driveshafts, and diff. Right? (maybe some other bits of gearbox?). Most likely wheel-bearings, intermediate driveshaft bearing, or differential/gearbox bearings?

Noise is much worse above about 30mph, and very noticeable above 50mph. This makes it tricky to find on the driveway at home.

I just tried jacking up the front and poking about. No play in wheels so wheel bearings does seem ruled out. No obvious play in driveshafts, (tiny bit of backlash - I assume that's normal?). There is a little bit of movement where the nearside driveshaft goes into the diff. Very slight but it does move. Is that a clue?

I tried running the car whilst listening underneath but all that gets you is a lot of engine noise and vibration.

Spinning left and right wheels/driveshafts whist out of gear doesn't show anything noticeable.

So, how do I work out where the noise is coming from?

There is a lot of backlash in the diff between wheels. Is that normal (I think it is)?

Suggestions welcome. It sounds like the the sort of thing that will take quite a long time before it actually breaks, but I've used up 2000 miles already...

I guess I could try driving somewhere till everything is warm, then feeling for heat in bearings?
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Mysterious drivetrain rumble - how to find?

Post by white exec »

As you say, does sound like a wheel bearing. These can go noisy, even if they don't show any backlash/wobble. The roller bearing track (or the rollers) can develop flats, which produces the noise.

You might be able to detect which side it is by lifting the wheels off the ground, allowing wheels to turn under power (in gear, maybe a higher one, engine at idle speed), and using a listening stick on the back of each hub. If needs be, remove the wheel, and listen to each hub from the front side. Take all the usual jacking and support care.

If it is a wheel bearing, probably best to replace both sides.
Chris
furriegurrie

Post by furriegurrie »

Could also be tires. Cupping or maybe a break in the steel belts in the tire
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Finally got round to taking the (nearside) hub carrier off. Bearing feels entirely smooth (surprisingly stiff, but then the replacement one doesn't seem much less stiff (maybe a tiny bit?)). So I guess that means my bearing is probably OK? Anything else I should test (beyond just turning slowly by hand) whilst I've got it in bits?
If I don't mind changing the gearbox oil I suppose I could take the driveshaft out and see if I can feel any dodginess there.
Would you recommend changing the bearing anyway as I have one, having got this far? It's much easier to just put it back together, but I can use the press at my friendly local garage - as I know this can be a big pain without a press. If I swap it and it's still noisy then I guess that's eliminated one part. On the other hand why replace perfectly good bits that are apparently still working fine?
Still, it's been rumbling for at least 5000 miles now and doesn't seem to be getting worse - maybe I should just put up with it a bit longer and wait for something to actually break :-)
Suggestions from the committee welcome.
Wookey
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

A few years back I took the wife's car in for its MOT, while he was checking the wheels the tester said the rear wheel bearing is on its way out. He spun the wheel slowly and we could feel roughness in the movement, he passed with an advisory. Purchased the bearing (for both sides) and forced the old one out. Next problem putting the new on in without damaging it as I didn't have a press. I put the bearing in the freezer over night, put the carrier in the hot oven for a few hours. Took them both outside and the bearing then just slipped in. Sorted. Good luck in finding it.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The most likely cause is a worn wheel bearing, but generally they will only do it with the weight of the car on them. Have you tried the rear bearings, sometimes sound travels. It could also be a faulty tyre as mentioned.

Peter
GoceKU
My Cars: Peugeot 607 2,7 HDI 150Kw
Peugeot 405 SR
Peugeot 405 GLD
Peugeot 405 Mi16x4
Peugeot 405 RWD
Peugeot 605 SRdt
Peugeot 605 V6 3.0 auto
Peugeot 605 2.1td
Peugeot 605 Sri
Peugeot 206 1.4i
Renault R19
Ranault Megane Coupe
Renault clio
Lada Niva 1600
Fiat 600

Post by GoceKU »

Do you have a tick noise when rocking the vehicle in gear with the engine off. 1,9d that is a BE3 gearbox, i've dealt a lot with them, if you have access to an inspection pit grab both axles and try rocking the differential to see do you have end play, you may need to add shims to take the space on the worn out bearing, easy to do on those gearboxes, even changing the diff bearings can be done easily in the vehicle.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

By 'rocking the differential' do you mean pull and push driveshafts (i.e one one way, one the other) perpendicular to the shafts? or pull/push both in same direction (still perpendicular to shafts). Or something else?
I tried rocking both opposite and together and just found that, at least with the intermediate bearing in, there is no movement whatsoever (although brake pipes in the way make it hard to get a really good shove)
Wookey
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Just taken the driver's side hub carrier off too. Again bearing seems to be fine. I guess this fits with no difference on corners: maybe it's the rear. I see the rear bearings cost 4 times as much because they are integral with the hub.
Wookey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A second hand hub would be the way to go there, not only cheaper but easier than fitting a bearing.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Are the wheels tight? I had a guy complaining about 'wheel bearings' but all that was wrong was the wheels hadn't been properly torqued up.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

I have the same sort of thing on my 407 but on the rear, Jacked it up today but no problem i could find, I have pin pointed it to the nearside though as going around a left hand bend the noise goes.
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..