Inlet valve cleaner.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stafford_Mart
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC 1.6 GT THP 150 (2009) Silver

Inlet valve cleaner.

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Hi guys,
Bought a can of CRC gdi inlet valve cleaner to remove some of the carbon crud on my 308 cabriolet 1.6 thp engine.
Any ideas as to where the MAF sensor is located and where's the best place to spray the cleaner forward of this? Cleaned everywhere else and only other thing that's making the car hesitate is the carbon build up....I think.
Any help much appreciated.
Regards
Mart.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Inlet valve cleaner.

Post by xantia_v6 »

There is no MAF sensor on a THP engine, just MAP (pressure) sensors either side of the motorised throttle.

About the only place you can really spray cleaner is into the pipe between the intercooler and the throttle (the one going over the top of the engine, near the engine mount). There appears to be a sensor mounted in that pipe that you could remove to put the spray in. I am not immediately sure if that is a pressure or temperature sensor (likely to be the pre-throttle pressure sensor I think).

For your hesitation, you might want to read my blog from about here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53637&start=60#p529952 regarding the hesitation on acceleration that I managed to fix.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you are referring to the 'Air Intake Resonator' on a petrol - number 8 on the diagram:
308 Air Resonator.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

No, that diagram only shows the pre-turbo plumbing, the pipe I am referring to is the one going across the top of the engine on the left here:
407iain

Post by 407iain »

You won't clean intake valves on that engine with a spray. The only way is a strip and manual clean.
Nothing in a can or bottle will touch the intake valves on a direct injection engine.
2011 RCZ THP 200 GT
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I thought this was the Turbo air intake:
308 Air Resonator B.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Hi Xantia

Had a look at your post regarding the hesitancy of the car and mine seems to match up to your findings currently as In it seems hesitant at low rev (Start to pull away) and sometimes during mid range. I'll take a look at the little car and filter later or if not at the weekend.
I've cancelled my valve cleaner as the car is nearly there bar the hesitancy and if this is the culprit then it will be a better option and cheaper too. Is the actual dump valve okay usually or is this something worth changing?
Regards
Mart.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am not sure if you mean "dump valve", as that is entirely another system. I am talking about the boost control valve (the thing at the back of the engine) that controls the waste-gate on the turbo.

The boost control valve can fail with similar symptoms (which is why I replaced mine), but I would try the filter first - it is a lot easier. I have read of waste-gates failing on Minis, but that would have completely different symptoms (low turbo boost).
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Thanks for that info.

I'll take a look at the filter this evening or on Saturday and see if it is as yours was and take the cap off and try that.
The car moves well on the motorway and when I put my foot down it does go but when its around town it does suffer from slight hesitation so it has to be something simple.

cheers
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Hi Xantia

Back online again after a hectic year so far doing bits to the 308 Cabrio.

Still got the car and gradually things are getting better.

Recently had a new set of tyres, all the brakes and discs changed and also got the turbo oil feed pipe changed as it was leaking badly.

I’ve also had the engine walnut blasted and rolling road checked and the valves are all clean (as of 5k miles ago anyway) and my remap that I had done to help the hesitancy is now showing properly and hitting the 178 BHP so pleased with that.

My last bit to do is sort out the rear suspension knock which I’ve put up with since having the car and nothing has shown up on the MOT either. Probably still is either the rear bushes or the mounting bush assembly on the struts. We shall see in time.

I still have a slight hesitancy on acceleration so now think (after I’ve looked at the little filter on the pipe you mentioned earlier) it might be the boost control valve that needs changing. Are these items common or are there certain aftermarket items that are much better. I seem to have read somewhere that there was an aussie product that was all electric and did away with the diaphragm arrangement…..or have I got the wrong component again.

I’ll keep you posted as to what I find over the next few weeks anyway.

Mart
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Which remap did you get? How has it changed the driveability and economy?

I think that you need to stick with the original boost control valve. You could fit one from the equivalent Mini engine, which is probably a little cheaper, and differs by having the little filter directly mounted on the valve rather than remote.

I think the Aussie product you mention may be an improved dump-valve, which is probably not your current issue.

If you have gone to the expense of having your valves cleaned, I would still recommend the crankcase breather modifications, as any oil vapour that goes through the intake system is liable to stick to the back of the valves, undoing all of your good work.

Is the hesitation you now experience right off idle, or does it happen after accelerating a few metres?
Stafford_Mart

Post by Stafford_Mart »

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.
The drive ability has improved considerably with a better response at the throttle and an increase into end torque too allowing better acceleration at motorway speeds and cruising. The economy is still good and I average around 40 to the gallon.

As far as the hesitancy goes it lags a bit after the initial pulling off so around the 2.5 to 3k revs. It's not as annoying as once was but I want it smoothed out so it's a better gradual increase in power as opposed to erratic.
I will look at getting one of the mini boost control valves as you have suggested as that will sort the little filter issue out too.
Have you any idea what I'm looking for? ie which mini engine has this on.
I think yur right about the dump valve, it's not really what I need and I think I'll look into the crankcase breather mod. Is there a link around for bit I need and what to do. I can print the info off and get that sorted before I get any drastic reduction in valve efficiency again. The walnut blasting was brilliant though and we'll worth doing after every 25 to 30 k.

Thanks again for your help and advice. It's very much appreciated.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

For spare parts, the Mini N14 is the closest to the PSA EP6CDT which I have, although you may have the earlier EP6DT.

For the crankcase breather, the most important thing is to block off the breather pipe at the rear of the engine that sucks oil fumes directly into the manifold (PSA deleted it in 2012). They also redesigned the engine top cover to reduce oil loss through the other breather, but the replacement parts to do the upgrade were a bit expensive when I looked.
I would also recommend fitting a vapour separator in the other breather pipe (the one going to the turbo intake), but most of the things cold as catch cans or oil separators are complete junk. I fitted one of these: https://www.westernfilters.net.au/prove ... 931070793/ and after 10,000 km you can run your finger around the inside of the breather pipe and it comes out clean. It really works. I also disabled (opened up) the pressure relief valve on the remaining breather system to avoid the crankcase from pressurising slightly, which was encouraging oil weeps around the top of th engine.
Suggy
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 308

Post by Suggy »

Sorry for reviving an old thread.
Mart
Did you change the Boost pressure control valve? and did it cure your problem? got similar problems with my 308 1.6THP and which filter are you referring to?

Ian