306 TD water bleeding?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jrf
My Cars:

306 TD water bleeding?

Post by jrf »

Please can anyone tell me the best method for bleeding the cooling system on a 306 TD. Thanks
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

The process is fully described in the Haynes manual, but assuming you've not got one, here's a couple of tips.
There are three bleed screws: one on top of the rad on the nearside, one on a coolant pipe that runs past the fuel filter housing and one at the bulkhead that is attacehd to a short length of pipe for improved access.
You'll need a header tank, since the highest point in the system is above the radiator. I use a large funnel that sits snugly in the rad filler neck. Haynes suggests using an old antifreeze bottle with the bottom cut off; not a bad idea since the mouths of such bottles are usually quite similar in size to the filler neck. You might need an O-ring or rubber band to get a decent temporary seal though.
Start at the lowest point (rad) and work your way up to the bulkhead screw. Open one screw at a time and keep adding coolant until you get a good bubble-free flow from each screw, whereupon you should close it and move to the next one.
My top screw was reluctant to bleed, so some judicious puggling with a piece of bent wire disloged some gunk. Bear this in mind if you're adding litre after litre with no results - there may be a blockage somewhere.
jrf
My Cars:

Post by jrf »

Many Thanks,
John