1.5 diesel poor fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rayyzfr1
My Cars: Citroen C4 coupe vts 180

Re: 1.5 diesel poor fuel consumption

Post by rayyzfr1 »

Many thanks. I will have it checked again. I know at the moment all the 6 bolts are basically in the centre of the slots. Could it be then that the pump timing is still wrong, ( advanced or retarted).
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

rayyzfr1 wrote: 18 May 2018, 10:33 Could it be then that the pump timing is still wrong, ( advanced or retarted).

Might be if the correct fitting method wasn't used. If it was slightly out it would certainly increase the fuel consumption.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
rayyzfr1

Post by rayyzfr1 »

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all your help. Update had it checked again today and it’s spot on.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Couple of points....

Check you've not got a diesel leak, look beneath after its been stood and also leave it ticking over about 10mins and look beneath afterward, including just ahead of the rear wheels where the tank is. I suspect not as if that were the case, there'd likely be other issues, but a simple measure worth checking out.

Also ensure that when you pump the hand primer, engine off, that it goes 'hard'.

And if you're a bit shy of thrashing it or driving it hard, get into the habit of changing up through the gears 5-10mph later than usual, over time will have the same effect; or let the rev counter needle climb higher than usual if its a 'better spec'd one, with one fitted. I'm inclined to think the rubbish mpg (30 ish really is pretty appalling for one of these) is to do with it being treated a little too gently over the years.

Not surprised the timing's OK, if its starting & running hunky dory wouldn't expect it to be far out.

Note partic to John D re 'Agricultural' PSA Diesels.....

I've also experienced this: my 'temporary' 405 did it, was surprisingly noisy, almost a 'Diesel Knock' but not. Ran it for a month by which time my long term 405 was repaired (well, I was charged for a repair, put it that way!), took us on a trip to Newcastle & back no problem with decent economy and I sold it on, with hindsight wish I'd kept it, but hindsight's a wonderful thing....

Likewise, daughter's 106: I sourced her a 'third' 106D, brought it back from the Vendor's home, about 40miles or so, it noticeably louder than either her 'M' plate Mk1, or her R plate Mk2, both of which were comprable, both 1.5D's. Noted it was a bit loud, but performance was better than either of 'em; and they weren't slouches by any means. I remember it ran so well than on a mild autumn afternoon (weather maybe 10c) after about 15miles on 50-60mph A roads, when I pulled into a layby to 'answer a call' and lifted the bonnet to ensure all was hunky dory, the 'stat hadn't even opened. I later found structural issues with it, which frankly, I should've noticed prior and hubby baulked at the 220k on the clock (others were each about 150k), so it was turned around.

Always liked the 1.5D in the 106 / Saxo, if I ever down-size from my 405 Estate I'll have one for myself.

Daughter's Mk2, pictured 4Up, on the way to Rob Roy's Grave. It returned a not particularly impressive low-mid 40's mpg on that run, about 1000miles in all, but it was 4 Up (all Adults) and Luggage, mostly at 75mph to 80mph on the motorway.
Attachments
Scotland Rob Roys Grave 4 up & Luggage.JPG
Puxa
rayyzfr1

Post by rayyzfr1 »

Thanks guys. I honestly think as said that because it’s such low mileage and belonged to a lady since it was 6 months old and only driven round town it just needs using properly. My journey to work is only 4 miles but I use a dual carriageway for 1 junction. Yesterday I floored it from the slip road till I came off at the next junction, only a mile but it did get going quite well and reached 90 no problem. In future I’m going to take a detour and stay on the carriageway for longer and see how it goes. I’ve just refuelled yesterday topping to the brim so hopefully it will get better. Really appreciate all your help and advice
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The fuel consumption will always be considerably worse on a cold engine and it doesn't seem you are doing enough miles to get it hot. As suggested a good long run will probably improve it considerably.

Peter