heavy steering?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hovis
My Cars:

heavy steering?

Post by hovis »

hi all....I have a 2001 306 hdi meridian.my wife drives this car more than me.She is always complaining of the steering being heavy and 'wandering'and just following the contours of the road.I mainly drive a 4x4 mitsubishi of which the steering is very light.My wife suffers from painful wrists as it is so i tended to just fob her off saying the steering is fine.That is until i drove it the other day!I thought the car felt dangerous.I went to a tyre garage to get the tracking and tyre pressures done.I thought this would cure it but it still feels abnormally heavy.I am asking you guys on here if its just me compairing with another vehicle or are the 306's naturally heavy on the steering? With just 21000 miles and no scratches i want to keep the car as it is a stunner!The manufacturers warranty runs out in april so could it be a fault or is it normal?[?][?][?][?]
richt353
My Cars:

Post by richt353 »

I've got a 306DT 98 and have always found the steering quite heavy. Good, new tyres helps. What made a big difference though was when it was last MOT'd and they had to replace the steering/suspension 'bushes'. Sorry I'm not precise ('bushes' was a definite word they used though). This made it drive like new. Still on the heavy side but much more precise to handle.
May be worth looking into
Rich
solara

Post by solara »

I assume your model does not have power sterring.
If so, steering will be heavy due to extra weight of diesel engine.