405 door jammed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

405 door jammed

Post by caveman_si »

i have a 405 estate (mreg) and the rear left passenger door is jammed.
I cant get it to unlock using either the central locking or the internal door button. I can hear the central locking mechanism "working" when i try to use that but nothing happens. The front 2 doors unlock from the central locking. The rear right passenger door doesnt work off the central locking but thats cause either the unit is duff in that door or a wire is loose(im working on it slowly), but works fine off the door button.
so any ideas on how to get it open short of ripping it off violently?? i need to sort it soon cos the mot is due next month.
cheers in advance si
dunnomuch
My Cars:

Post by dunnomuch »

I fixed the same problem on my car yesterday! I removed the door button, got some pliers on the rod inside and pulled it up. The button was just sliding on the rod and not pulling it. Having got the door open, I removed the trim and outside door handle, squirted some WD40 on the hinge where the rod meets the door lock. I think you can remove the trim without opening the door ??? My problem is the door button is knackered and won't grip the rod, but the central locking now works.
The door button can be removed by pulling it up then out. The window winder just levers off. You can use a small screwdriver to help release it so you don't to apply so much force.
You can get a new clip which fits inside the door button if it won't grip the metal rod for 36p. I'm getting mine on Saturday.
Come back if you need more detail
Matt
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

I think i didnt make my problem clear, the door button goes up and down when i use the central locking. ive taken the button off and checked the rod and tried already to open it using that. (was the only way i could get the other door open so was 1st thing i tried).
the central locking seems to operate in this jammed door ie the button goes up and i can hear the motor clicking when operated but the door fails to open if using either of the handles.
Aas to taking off the door trim im not sure if it can be done with the door shut because of the screws holding the speaker in to the door are only just visable but i'll find out later when i have a go at this door.
I took my other back door apart the other day to grease it up because its not working so i know how the door locks/central locking all link together and work. i thought id tackle the easy one first.
where can i get those little clips from?? i need 2 get a few and some buttons i was less then careful taking them off.
cheers in advance si
dunnomuch
My Cars:

Post by dunnomuch »

I'm getting the clips from local Peugeot dealer. Are you sure the rod has travelled all the way up, I had to pull the rod quite hard to get it to make the magic click.
Good luck
Matt
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

yeah the rod moves fine i can hear it click into place when it goes up and down.
But this evening i got the door to open up as normal. Just got back from a couple of hrs driving, with the heating cranked all the way (well it was bloody cold outside and snowing). And low and behold the door opened!!!!!!(no idea why i opened the door i meant to open the front one) i grabbed my wd40 as quick as i could and soaked the lock so atleast i know its now lubricated. Only thing is i shut the door and now its jammed again. stupid door.
Atleast i know it can be opened just got to work out how to fix it cos 2hrs with full heating in the snow is a lot to ask just to open a door...
cheers si
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If you get it open again have a good look at the mechanism and see if anything is loose or near the end of its travel. It's probably best to leave the door trim off until you get this sussed.
trafic9
My Cars:

Post by trafic9 »

had similar problem with mine.ended up removing panel and the problem turned out to be a circular pivot that had simply popped out of its door hole.simply push back in and it shoul sort problem out