removing gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

removing gearbox

Post by froggy »

Hi, I am removing the gear box on my wifes 306, to access the clutch . I have removed the gearbox housing bolts but the gearbox will only move about 50m/m before I feel resistance ! is there something that I need to remove to take the gearbox off? many thanks Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: removing gearbox

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Terry :)

Yes, you need to remove the clutch release arm from the shaft so that the release arm forks can be completely disengaged from the release bearing by rotating the shaft through 90 degrees at least...

Until this is done the gearbox will not separate...

The arm is removed after removing the cotterpin that secures it to the shaft...

That pin can sometimes be 'fun' to remove...

If you have trouble with it, I'll give you some ideas ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

many thanks Jim.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Hi Jim, yep, it's a dog of a job to get the pin out.......considering cutting the clutch release arm ! I know it sounds barbaric, but.......
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, don't do that Terry, clamp a pair of Molegrips on to the end of it very tightly and then use a hammer on the Molegrips to drive out the pin...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

ok Jim
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Note this only applies if it is a TD with the pull clutch... if it's got a different engine, then something else is holding it back.
Richard W
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

I have removed the clutch release arm.........forgot to say the peugeot 306 is 1.4 petrol :oops:
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

froggy wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 18:09 I have removed the clutch release arm.........forgot to say the peugeot 306 is 1.4 petrol :oops:

Ahh, in that case, as foretold by Richard, what I sad does not apply Terry. Is the 'box now off?

It might still help as it must be the release bearing holding things back...

Why are you doing the clutch? How has it failed?
Jim

Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

If it's a 1.4 8Valve it will have a MA gearbox so forget all the advice above. Assuming both driveshafts,and all the other bits and the gearbox mount is removed,and ALL? the bell housing bolts,it should just come off. The only thing I can think of is the large lower dowel sometimes siezes up. My other thought is the clutch release bearing has failed and is "welded" to the clutch cover.May be it just needs some persuasion with a big bar? But be careful and check all round.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oldpug wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 18:34 My other thought is the clutch release bearing has failed and is "welded" to the clutch cover.

Mine too...
Jim

froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

I ran out of daylight ! will try and get the gearbox off in the morning, the reason for removing it Jim ; the clutch release bearing is very , very noisy , many thanks again, Terry.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

froggy wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 19:32 I ran out of daylight ! will try and get the gearbox off in the morning, the reason for removing it Jim ; the clutch release bearing is very , very noisy , many thanks again, Terry.

I wish you better success today then Terry ;)

I'm watching with interest to see how it goes and to know what was causing the separation difficulty...
Jim

froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

The driveshafts....I have removed the near side driveshaft ( the short one) I have disconnected the offside (longer one) off the wheel hub , but yesterday I could not find a way to remove it from the gearbox. I have removed two small bolts that appear to hold the bearing on. The heads of the bolts are shaped differently ! I am guessing the driveshaft is probably the reason for the gearbox refusing to move,,,,,well only about 50 m/m. many thanks again Terry.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

froggy wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 07:13I am guessing the driveshaft is probably the reason for the gearbox refusing to move,,,,,well only about 50 m/m. many thanks again Terry.

Yes, it will be! That will be the reason ;)

The driveshaft intermediate bearing will need driving out of its housing...

Undoing the two 'hockey stick' retaining bolts and rotating them will enable the bearing to be driven out but often corrosion makes it a tight fit in its housing...

The answer is to drive it out using a large hammer and blunt cold chisel against the shoulder just in front of the bearing. Drive whilst rotating the shaft and drive towards the wheel hub...

If it just won't go then check the 'hockey sticks' are well out of the way...
Jim