207 1.4 petrol hesitates when cold

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

207 1.4 petrol hesitates when cold

Post by johntom »

Hi my 2007, 207 1.4 16v petrol has a stutter/hesitation below 1800rpm when cold. The car has covered 47k with fsh. I have cleaned the throttle body, the plugs are a good colour, the engine bay is clean and dry etc and no fault codes are found on Peugeot planet/diagbox ?
When upto temperature the car drives fine, however when cold it struggles to pull at low revs, anyone had this before?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: 207 1.4 petrol hesitates when cold

Post by EDC5 »

Could this be down to (one of the) temperature sensor(s) ? I'm not familiar with that engine but if the hesitation goes away when warm that would be my first thought.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Yes! Mine started doing this yesterday. Must have been bad as even my missus noticed it!

Not a clue why yet. Perhaps it needs planet on it, perhaps it was just damp. It was ok when I drove it from cold today.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 18:29 Yes! Mine started doing this yesterday. Must have been bad as even my missus noticed it!

Not a clue why yet. Perhaps it needs planet on it, perhaps it was just damp. It was ok when I drove it from cold today.

I must drive mine and see if she's doing it too... Must admit since the Saxo arrived my 207 has not moved...

I'd be looking at the upstream oxygen sensor signals and checking to see how quickly the system goes into closed-loop after a cold start... And then, once it is that you are seeing a nice slow and regular transition from a high signal of say, 800mV to a low signal of around 100mV to indicate the system is maintaining the mixture ratio correctly.

And...
EDC5 wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 18:18 Could this be down to (one of the) temperature sensor(s) ? I'm not familiar with that engine but if the hesitation goes away when warm that would be my first thought.
Taking good note of this and making sure the coolant temperature as reported by Planet rises steadily and without jumps and stutters as the engine warms to normal operating temperature. It's not unknown for temperature sensors to give errant readings at some temperatures whilst looking normal at others.

I'd also use Planet to re-initialise and retrain the ECU whilst you're at it... Always a good idea.. I always do just before mine is due an MOT...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...