Peugeot 106 Mk1 Diesel Rev counter & sensor

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)
1995 Peugeot 106 Roland Garros (converted from petrol to 1.4 diesel)
1963 Triumph based Spartan Roadster kit car 2.5 litre.
2002 Peugeot 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi (In daily use)
2006 Peugeot 307cc Hdi Sport (Getting it ready for the summer)

Peugeot 106 Mk1 Diesel Rev counter & sensor

Post by clydeowenp »

I have a 1995 106 Roland Garros which I converted to diesel. The engine I fitted was a 1.4 non turbo from a 1884 106 Kid Diesel. The Roland Garros has a rev counter fitted which seems to be connected to the engine management ECU but the kid diesel has no engine management ECU and according to the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual is connected direct to the TDC sensor. The conversion was successful but the rev counter doesn't work, didn't expect it to. I asked at the Peugeot dealer and the diesel rev counter is no longer available, last price listed was about £300 so didn't bother.
I recently found a NOS rev counter on ebay for £30 which is listed as suitable for a 106 Mk 1 diesel so I brought and fitted it but it doesn't work. I'm using the TDC sensor from the Kid Diesel that didn't have a rev counter but I think the diesel with a rev counter has a different TDC sensor than the diesel without a rev counter. If this is the case and I have the wrong TDC sensor replacing it may cure the problem but I would appreciate some advice before I spend more money. There's no guarantee the sensor I have fitted is any good but I've no way to test it.
Finding a used one would be difficult as there aren't many in scrap yards these days and due to health and safety rules many yards will not let us wander round the yard and look as we used to.
When I changed the engine I disconnected the large multi connector by the battery, swapped the engine and connected to the replacement engine. Everything worked I just had to put a bulb in the glow plug light on the dash. I haven't tried to trace the wires from the rev counter to the TDC sensor as it looks like it will be a pain but I will if I have to.
Regards
Clyde
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Peugeot 106 Mk1 Diesel Rev counter & sensor

Post by doctle »

Have you considered an aftermarket rev counter on a dash pod? They usually connect to the alternator, you could replace the rev counter you have with a clock from a base petrol model?
Oh buggle
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Rev counters can be wired into the alternator if all else fails, I did it that way on my old LDV van.
It wasn't difficult at all but the maths for the components took a little while to work out.
I say components as I think it was a few resistors but actually don't remember.
If you don't have any luck with the TDC I'm sure I could dig out the data I used to do mine.
PM me if you want me to, I rarely check non Xantia threads so may well miss if you ask here.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

elma wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 22:21 Rev counters can be wired into the alternator if all else fails, I did it that way on my old LDV van.
It wasn't difficult at all but the maths for the components took a little while to work out.
I say components as I think it was a few resistors but actually don't remember.
If you don't have any luck with the TDC I'm sure I could dig out the data I used to do mine.
PM me if you want me to, I rarely check non Xantia threads so may well miss if you ask here.

I have never done this kind of work on a French car, I have put a VW diesel engine into a MK2 golf petrol. Non turbo 1.6 diesel it didn't exactly set the world on fire!
Oh buggle