405 lights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

405 lights

Post by caveman_si »

its a 405 estate m reg (95)
and im slowly getting it sorted but i need a few bits of advice from enlightened people!!!!
the reversing lights are tempremental. to be exact the've only worked a few times since ive had the car but at random times. any common problems to look out for b4 i start taking the whole thing apart??? i know the front lights suffer dodgy earths.
replacing the cable from the aerial how hard a job is it??? the previous owner was less then gentle taking the radio out and there is almost no co-axail cable well no enought to reach any replacement radio.
last but no means least door barrels how easy (for a competent but amatuer mechanic with limited tools) is it to take them out of the drivers door and boot?
cheers in advance si
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by caveman_si</i>

its a 405 estate m reg (95)
and im slowly getting it sorted but i need a few bits of advice from enlightened people!!!!
the reversing lights are tempremental. to be exact the've only worked a few times since ive had the car but at random times. any common problems to look out for b4 i start taking the whole thing apart??? i know the front lights suffer dodgy earths.
replacing the cable from the aerial how hard a job is it??? the previous owner was less then gentle taking the radio out and there is almost no co-axail cable well no enought to reach any replacement radio.
last but no means least door barrels how easy (for a competent but amatuer mechanic with limited tools) is it to take them out of the drivers door and boot?
cheers in advance si
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Sorry about the first post, hit the wrong button, lol
Anway, Reverse lights, Unplug the white 2 pin connector on the front of the gearbox & short this out with wire, Reverse lights should now come on, If so fit a new switch, But dont lose any of the washers from the old one when you remove it.
Door lock barrels can be removed without taking the trim off, Theres 2 black rubber bungs in the edge of the door level with the barrel, You can screw a tool into the clip that makes changing the barrel easy, the dimensions are in the hayns manual.
Ive changed a saloon boot lock, that was held in with some T20 torx screws & the rods where just cliped in.
The aerial cable is easy to change as well, I cant remember what a piller it goes down, remove the map light MAKE SURE THE KEY ISNT IN THE IGNITION, easy short circuit with screwdriver! & take out the screws, up plug the roof consol & follow the aerial cables path back to the radio.
The grey a piller trim just clips on, unclip the ultrasonic sensor if fitted first. The black kick trim is held in with 1 screw in its corner, dont bother trying to put this screw back, you wont get it to line up at all.
You can also remove the carpet section under the glovebox, held in with 2 spring clips, squash these back flat before refitting them, & the carpet section in the center section has 1 screw & some clips holding it in.
Easy to do, but takes some time.
Dodgey earths are cured by dissconecting the battery & carefully removing & cleaning them, Theres 1 next to each headlight, 1 next to the front wiper motor, 1 In the scuttle palnel next to the pollen filter & ecu, 1 behind each front kick panel trim at bottom of a piller.
Theres also 1 on each side of luggage compartment & 1 in your talgate according to haynes.
The battery terminals Peugeot fitted are rubbish, buy some proper 1s & solder them on, Warning BIG 150 watts + iron needed!
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

cheers mate already done most of the work. The lights are a million times bettter since i cleanned all the earth points in the engine bay, might still buy some new bulbs tho, no where as urgent as before tho.
doh found out the hard way about the battery clips mine got a little bent until i realised there was no battery tie down. replaced pronto and a new clip too.
Just the door locks to do and ive had lots of practice taking the trim off (damm french electric wiring) with my central locking probs. so im going to do that. by the time ive made the haynes recommended tool i can have both door trims off and jimmed the clips out.
Cheers muchly about the aerial cable info going to wait till ive got a nice day and feeling brave. At the mo ive got a temporary fix, a normal wing mounted aerial and plugged it in and set up behind the glove box.
cheers simon