Peugeot XUD9 parts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fkowalski1942
New User
My Cars: JPX 1.9D 4x4

Peugeot XUD9 parts

Post by fkowalski1942 »

Hello,
I´m rebuilding a 1.9 XUD9 Diesel and need some parts, anyone knows where can i get it?
I´m looking for the usual rebuild parts, pistons, rings, but i need specifically the turbulence chamber(Chambres de Turbulence). I´m living on South America, but i´m in Europe every 6 months, so it´s easy to me get some parts from Europe. Thanks for any help.

Thanks in advanced
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: Peugeot XUD9 parts

Post by Oldpug »

The guy for old Peugeot parts in the UK is Dean Hunter http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk/
in France www.serie04.com
in Germany https://www.franzose.de/en/Peugeot/
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Excuse my inexperience, but what exactly is the turbulence chamber? From searching online the closest I can gather is it's either the "comet" pre-chamber for the cylinder head or an external part.

Have you got a photo so I can see what it is, if it's part of the inlet or exhaust manifold then I probably have a used one you could have if you get to the UK at all. If it is the pre-chamber, I'd say it probably made more sense to get a replacement head without issues in this area as they don't generally give trouble.

Apologies if I'm way off the mark...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think that they are what I know as the swirl chambers.
They are spherical inserts in the cylinder head.
The engine has indirect injection as the diesel is injected into these chambers and then makes it's way into the combustion area.
They are known to crack and pit over the years but it's not something thats affected me yet over 10+ Xud9s.
As far as I'm aware they need changing at the same time as the head is skimmed and it's not a diy / home job.
There was a guy near Chester (North West England) who offered this service but I cannot find him on google right now, not sure if he's still in business or not.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

I wasn't aware of the need to change on skimming the head, only that there is a spec for how far they are allowed to protrude from the face of the head. Again I only have experience of stripping one XUD9 but none of the others I've owned have had any issues in this area either (the one I did strip was comprehensively blown up but the chambers all appeared fine on that).
elma

Post by elma »

ekjdm14 wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 12:30 I wasn't aware of the need to change on skimming the head, only that there is a spec for how far they are allowed to protrude from the face of the head.

I could be wrong Dan but thats how I recall it.
Mine ended up not needing doing and I last looked at this about 10 years ago.

I'm not saying that if the head is skimmed they need changing.
I was saying that if they are changed then the head needs skimming.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

elma wrote: 30 Jul 2017, 12:45....I'm not saying that if the head is skimmed they need changing.
I was saying that if they are changed then the head needs skimming.

Aha, that makes sense yes. I read it as the other way round :oops:
elma

Post by elma »

In fairness I don't think I wrote it very clearly the first time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Often the pre-chambers don't need changing for a light skim but they do have a habit of cracking across the orifice into the main combustion chamber and if they crack too badly they then don't work as effectively...

Dan, for more about them look up any articles you can find on the Ricardo Comet. The XUD pre-chambers are of that pattern as the XUD was designed by Ricardo - so in effect it is a British engine ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...