Bulb eating Boxxer

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Bulb eating Boxxer

Post by elma »

The Boxxer is rapidly going through os headlamp bulbs. I suspected a poor earth so I removed the entire headlamp to check. It doesn't appear to use body/chassis earth at all. Theres only one cable iI can't trace as I'd have to take the bumper off but i don't believe it is an Earth. Connections are both clean and secure.

Any ideas or should I just add it to the sliding door repair when it goes to the garage next werk?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Bulb eating Boxxer

Post by Gibbo2286 »

For a minute there I thought you were talking about your dog and tulips. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
elma

Post by elma »

:rofl2: wouldnt put it past him.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The only things which will normally make bulbs fail is excessive voltage and vibration, over volts would cause others to fail as well so you can probably rule that out. Are you replacing the bulbs with the same make every time? If so I would suggest you have a duff batch of bulbs. I always use 'Ring' bulbs from ebay, they are very cheap and very good.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Don't overlook earths... My 207 used to eat bulbs for breakfast and all sorts of electrical 'funnies' going on - which is why it became mine...

I found the earth bond from the battery to the bodyshell was decidedly suspect. Cleaned that up and never a problem since - touch-wood.

Trace your negative lead from the battery. It'll end up on the bodyshell somewhere and then dice off to the gearbox...

Give the bodyshell earth point a good clean and reassemble...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Jim is dead right with earth-checking. The alternator relies on a good ground connection for its internal voltage regulator to work correctly, If it doesn't, system voltages can surge or 'flare' as indifferent connections come and go.

PSA grounding and battery connections have a long history of degradation over time. Check that any bodywork bolt-down earths don't have original paint (!) on their contact surfaces.
Chris
elma

Post by elma »

Im going to leave it to the garage. Peugeot have built the boxxer appallingly as far as ease of maintenance goes. I expect a lot of the front end needs to come apart to trace the wire. Its had all sorts of different bulbs and the current one looks ok but doesnt light up. Last thing I'm going to do is check voltage then over to the garage. Got to work both days this weekend as we still don't have irrigation and its boiling. Not really in the mood for wasting time on the van.