Peugeot 307 1.6 Petrol Clutch Issue, Help!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dannyjfallows
My Cars: Peugeot 307 SW

Peugeot 307 1.6 Petrol Clutch Issue, Help!!

Post by Dannyjfallows »

Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what's happened with my clutch on my 307 SW petrol 1.6.

It started out a few months ago... when driving, there would be a noise, similar to a bird chirping, coming from the clutch area of the engine. This would disappear with a very slight press of the clutch pedal while driving.

Last weekend, upon coming a junction the clutch became hard to press, making it really difficult to change gear. This gradually got worse and worse until now the car ended up stuck in first gear with the clutch pedal totally solid.

We disconnected and changed the slave cylinder, wondering whether this would be the problem, until we discovered that the clutch fork had completed disconnected itself from the pivot, and is now loose inside the engine.

Having done some research I'm confident this could be the release bearing that's failed... do you think this could be the case?
Bick

Re: Peugeot 307 1.6 Petrol Clutch Issue, Help!!

Post by Bick »

in a word, yes, you may also find the pressure plate fingers are scrap so its a complete clutch kit.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's how it went on our C4 Picasso (1.6 HDi) - the clutch and flywheel was actually OK, and not that worn, but the release bearing came out in shrapnel. New release fork was fitted as it the fingers were worn. As well as being careful not to overheat the flywheel if it's a DM job (no holding it on the clutch, or excessive slip); you now need to add not sitting with your foot on the clutch for extended periods as the release bearing is a 50p bit of plastic rubbish - back to the 'good' old days of carbon thrust washers almost!
Richard W
Dannyjfallows
My Cars: Peugeot 307 SW

Post by Dannyjfallows »

18485892_651664735043690_7649683887173547378_n.jpg
Thanks for your replies!

I took this photo from the slot where the clutch fork goes inside the engine... You can see that fork has disconnected itself from the plastic part that holds it to the pivot, and also some of the clutch seem to have some fresh-looking scratches. Do you think these scratches could mean a new clutch kit?

Cheers, Dan.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

You always change the complete clutch kit,very foolish not to. Also the release bearing will have damaged the fork and the guide sleeve,so change the lot.