405 Handbrake Fault

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

riber3
My Cars: Renault 16 TX
Renault Clio
Peugeot 306

405 Handbrake Fault

Post by riber3 »

The handbrake lever is not going down fully and caused the n/s rear drum to stick I have checked all drums and shoes but found the fault is on the front cable inside the centre console. I think something is jammed underneath it as I rattled and freed off the cable from underneath and it started working again!!

Checked to see how to remove centre console not sure if its a short or long as the cassette holder looks more like a cubby hole but it seems to be a lot of grief just access the cable to see whats causing the problem!!!

So before I start does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to access it???
riber3
Renault Clio
Peugeot 306

Re: 405 Handbrake Fault

Post by riber3 »

Just a quick update found out that the car is fitted with the low level console but it is difficult to tell which one is which unless it is fitted with a cassette holder. The only other thing of note is to remove the front ashtray in the centre console to all access to the gear stick surround so that it can be lifted up to allow the console to be withdrawn..
Found that the cable was a little seized due to a kink
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Lower centre console out on the 405 is quite easy, have had mine out a number of times
Bit confused about mention of a Cassette holder though, does yours have the a Mk1 or Mk2 interior?

I've no knowledge of the Mk1 interior. On the Mk2, the fixings are (from memory)
Remove the front ashtray: there are two obvious Torx bits and two less obvious ones you have to look for (upside down, in the top if I remember rightly)
Slide both fronts seats fully forward, get in the back, and find a Torx either side a few cm's from the rear of the console
Remove the Gear knob (twist & pull hard, upwards), they're usually very stiff: there's no fitting to remove in the top of it.
Pull the square surround behind the gaiter back about 1cm and it'll lift off.... hmm, or is it 'push forward', one or t'other
Remove the handbrake rubber just pull hard & twist. Heat with a hairdryer or similar if you're struggling.
Shouldn't be necessary to have the Dashboard middle section out.

NB: the handbrake cable is in three parts
a main one that goes from the handbrake itself to the rear of the car
and separate cables for NS and OS
Do ensure its not one of the rear cables, these are prone to cracking and water ingress and are easier to fix, I've changed these a number of times: I've never needed to change the front to rear cable in over 100,000miles use and I can't think what could possibly 'catch' on it

I've a spare handbrake & cable in the loft, will take a pic to show how the cable locates

Also a 405 owner, Paris this year in it

PS: If you've got the estate version, a few heavy applications of the foot brake with a heavy weight in the boot (to trigger the LSV) is a good 'work out' for the rears
Puxa
riber3
Renault Clio
Peugeot 306

Post by riber3 »

Hi there,
Many thanks for the very useful advice. I think the interior is a Mark2 as it has the square slider heater controls and not the round ones. It is an estate so the LSV tip is very handy!!!
As for the mention of the cassette holder I believe this was on the Mark1 in the top part of the console above and at the back of handbrake lever under the armrest. Hope you have a great time in Paris.