405 infuriating brake issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carlo14
My Cars:

405 infuriating brake issue

Post by carlo14 »

Hi all,

At my wits end a bit with this, (despite not being a major problem!), and most garages haven't got the patience to listen to an old Peugeot nut's issues.

My 405 2.0 petrol has for the last year or so been cursed with a very inconsistent brake application, it feels like it's 'braking in stages', and very unprogressive. A bit like if you had a warped disc. Usually these cars have a lovely, progressive and slightly dead feel to the brakes (like my other 405) so this is unusual, and especially annoying as with a bad back problem I appreciate smooth braking.

In the last year it has had new rear calipers, discs, pads and brake hoses (partly because of a sticking caliper too), and this year it has had new front discs, calipers and pads. And nothing has made any difference.

I'm starting to run out of ideas, am thinking maybe master cylinder issue? What else can cause uneven braking that hasn't been changed?

The car has ABS.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: 405 infuriating brake issue

Post by Gibbo2286 »

ABS reluctor rings cracked and moving instead of firmly fixed or badly corroded, ABS sensors although these when faulty usually pop up a warning light.

Example part: https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/abs-reluc ... g-664.html
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

The ABS light does come on occasionally, however it's been coming on for three years in the other 405 I have and the brakes are beautifully progressive!

May be a daft question but can I disable the ABS (by pulling an associated fuse out?!)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, but when you take the fuse out the ABS light will stay on. When you then take her for the MoT that would be a failure.

It is not that difficult to replace the reluctor rings on the front drive shafts, but a bit time consuming (and you have to stick them in an oven for half an hour or so). The rings are normally around £5 (well, they were for my Xantia).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Problem with the servo? will it brake smoothly although slowly with the engine off? Don't forget to switch the ignition back on though!

Peter