Charging System Problem?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BossPlaya
My Cars:

Charging System Problem?

Post by BossPlaya »

Got a new varta battery on Friday and put it in my Peugeot 306. Been using the car to commute from Leicester to Donington. I’ve been checking the voltage of the battery after every journey and it keeps dropping, Today I checked the voltage of the battery and it reads 12.2 and the green indicator light has gone out on the battery meaning that it needs to be charged.
With the car turned on and revved the voltage only increases by 0.2 – 0.5v hitting a max of 12.7v if lucky.
Don’t have a clue as to what’s wrong with car but I know the battery is not charging as the drive to Donington is a 45min drive.
Anyone have an idea on what’s wrong?
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Cheack alterator connections and all earth straps. Measure the alternator output diectly at the alterator terminal to the alternaot body should be 4.25 to 4. 75 max. If not then the alternator brushes are awat.1000k miles plus or the diode pack has failed. Come Back Peter
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi,
As you know, your battery isn't charging. It has to be either dodgy alternator, or slipping belt, which will usually shriek badly, so I doubt if it's that.
I think you are straight into exchange alternator territory, but check your connections to the alternator first, and connections between alternator and starter.
When revved a little bit, say 1200 rpm, you should be getting close to 14V on the battery, so that's your problemo alright.
Bad luck, but should be an easy fix.
cheers
Russell
BossPlaya
My Cars:

Post by BossPlaya »

Got the alt replaced on friday.
car is still being weird, started it in the morning and checked the voltage it was 12.5v set off for work the battery warning light came on so i checked the voltage again and it was still runnin off the battery @ 12.4v so i turned around to come home and tested the battery @ the next set of traffic lights and it was 14.2v.... hmmmmmmmm strange. the turned back again and stoped @ my normal petrol station to refill turned on the car when done and checked the voltage and it was 12v again :-/
came to doninton (work) and checked the voltage and it was 14.3v.