405 1.8TD Head Gasket replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It might be worth visiting a breaker who has one of those engines out so you can see what's what down the back of the engine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On the BX they are 6mm socket head screws. I think Haynes recommends cutting down an allen key to 65mm. Of course at this length you will never turn it - oh, and you shouldn't have taken the other bolts out as all the tension will now be on the centre bolt making it harder to undo, and, if socket head, it will round out. I speak from experience!
red161
My Cars:

Post by red161 »

Thanks RichardW
I have removed 4 bolts - the ones at either end but below are still in, as is the centre one.
I might just put two back and then try and get to the centre one, if I win I presume its easy to get to the exhaust/turbo manifold bolts after removing the inlet?
Thanks guys, I am going into this quite blind with only this forum and the Haynes (looks easy but isnt) manual! - I am a Ford man really, always have been, this Pug is my first non ford in a number of years, and my first diesel at that and it goes very wrong - twice!!!! - you can imagine what the missus said - "<i>I knew you shouldnt have bought that car! you idiot!!</i>" bloody women!! its actually a very nice car, it (did) drive superb and was very ecomomical, towed my racing car well too.
I JUST WANT IT FIXED, WHY CANT IT BE EASY!!!