2.0 HDi 110 Cooling system problem , Help NEEDED

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

landyz
My Cars: 2002 307 SW 2.0 HDI 110

2.0 HDi 110 Cooling system problem , Help NEEDED

Post by landyz »

Hi all
I just got a 307SW 2.0HDi 110 and noticed that the engine side of the cooling system was warm but the radiator and hoses where cold. I also noticed that the expansion tank cap would not lock, So I got a new genuine thermostat and cap and fitted, Now both the radiator and hoses heats up. But I don't think there is any water as none coming out of the bleed screw. I left the car running for 1/2 hr, now and then revving the engine but still no water out the bleed screw.

next day

I have flushed the system twice and even put a new radiator in, Left the car running for 20 mins , a little drive for 5 mins as before hose are warm but no flow of water , and the system was not pressurized, I could take the expansion bottle cap off like it was cold.

Now when the expansion bottle cap cam off the water started to flow out the bleed cap

next day

Today I took the thermostat out, thinking it would move the water round the system,. A 20 mins run on motorway and country roads, back home . with the engine running took the bleed screw off nothing and system not pressurized

so far the engine is not overheating, and im using 50/50 coolant , im not losing any water, no water in the oil , the water pump was changed 40k ago.

please any advice would be good
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 2.0 HDi 110 Cooling system problem , Help NEEDED

Post by Peter.N. »

If there is no pressure at all in the system I can only suggest that either your new pressure cap is faulty or you have a leak in the header tank that is releasing the pressure.

Is your heater working OK? if so the water must be circulating. I wouldn't worry about it too much if everything is working as it should, the only effect that no pressurization will have is to lower the boiling point of the coolant, this weather I don't think its going to matter.

Are you loosing any coolant? if so that will be why there is no pressure. Check for leaks.

Peter