Peugeot 207 gti limp mode

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mattywhite84
My Cars: Peugeot 207 gti

Peugeot 207 gti limp mode

Post by Mattywhite84 »

I had a 200 cell sports cat fitted, I drove around 400 miles fine but now my car keeps going into limp mode.
But it's turbo limp mode I feel the turbo cut out but still accelerates but very very slow .
P0420 code showed up .
Would a sports cat without a remap cause limp mode.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Peugeot 207 gti limp mode

Post by ekjdm14 »

I *guess* (and nothing more than a guess) it could cause the turbo to overboost & thus throw it into limp mode, if the cat was flowing that much better than the original.

Not 100% sure but P0420 I think refers to cat efficiency (measured by the difference between the readings from the pre & post cat o2 sensors) so IMHO that's likely caused by the 200 cell cat not being up to the job. I suppose you could check the connections/wiring and make sure there's no leaks in the system too but my money would be on the sports cat not working as well as the car expects it to.

Again in my (far from expert) opinion, there's really no need for a sports cat unless you've done significant other modifications to the engine that would cause increased exhaust flow. The factory item is more than up to the job of both converting crap into water & letting gases out fairly unhindered so if it were my car I'd switch back to a factory cat. If you do trackdays and find the cat does indeed make an appreciable difference you could invest in a decat/test pipe for use on track.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Mattywhite84

Post by Mattywhite84 »

Yeah I agree with you, it was a mistake putting the sports cat on.
Now even though it could be the spots cat it still isn't 100% that at fault.
I had the turbo checked and they said it was working fine.
It passed MOT yesterday with good emissions.
I asked one company if they could remap my car and I explained the situation , they've never know of just a bolt on causing limp mode .
One company said they can remap it and turn maf sensor off.
Mattywhite84

Post by Mattywhite84 »

Not maf, lamda delete
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Lambda delete is probably not what you need either.

Maybe you should talk to some other remapping companies and find one that understands the problem, or you might end up spending more money without a fix.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Would it not make more sense to get the car onto peugeot planet and have a good look through the live data? It could be a simple issue and not the cat itself. I've learnt the hard way modifying an unhealthy car usually leads to big bills or scrap metal. If it is the cat then surely the best solution is ditch it and fit an oem one rather than chip the car. I don't know but I would expect a racing cat to work at much higher exhaust gas temperature and I doubt standard injection will get you to the flow and temperatures such a product is designed for. Whereas the standard CAT has a proven track record of working perfectly well with remapped engines.
Bick

Post by Bick »

This kind of device might be your answer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Exha ... SwZQxW6Ds-
Mattywhite84

Post by Mattywhite84 »

Ok thank you for the replies , I think I will book my car in for Peugeot planet.