Removing ignition key barrel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Removing ignition key barrel

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Hello how do you remove the ignition key barrel.

I have removed all the plastic covers out of the way now. Just wanting to know what next as I will be getting another barrel sometime soon.

306 hdi

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Removing ignition key barrel

Post by CitroJim »

There should be a small screw and a plunger (which can only be depressed when the switch is set to off and key out) on the switch barrel holding it in the tube on the steering column.

Remove the screw and depress the plunger and it should then slide out... You'll need to ease the heavy wires out with it as they can catch and make it seem like the barrel won't move...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Jim, I thought the key had to be in the barrel for the button to be pressed? IIRC it was this way on the 206, 205 & 405 as well as Fords. (I think it's a security thing where you need the key to be able to remove the lock barrel, less important in this age of transponders and inconvenient if you're replacing due to a lost key BUT unless the 306 is different to the 206 and others I think the key does have to be in & turned to the first detent (ACC) to press the button? At the very least I'm sure the steering lock needs to be disengaged)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Post by Welshy_Pete »

CitroJim wrote:There should be a small screw and a plunger (which can only be depressed when the switch is set to off and key out) on the switch barrel holding it in the tube on the steering column.

Remove the screw and depress the plunger and it should then slide out... You'll need to ease the heavy wires out with it as they can catch and make it seem like the barrel won't move...

Yeah remove screw turn key to position 2 then there a metal clip push that in and pull barrel out.

Just had ago thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:Jim, I thought the key had to be in the barrel for the button to be pressed?
Yes, my bad on the key position. Sorry :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:There should be a small screw and a plunger (which can only be depressed when the switch is set to off and key out) on the switch barrel holding it in the tube on the steering column.

I think the very early ones (possibly up to about 86 or 89?) may of had this. I do know what you are talking about with this though. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG