206 D Clattering noise at idle.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

206 D Clattering noise at idle.

Post by Edhertz »

I replaced the alternator brushes on my 206 D recently which went O.K but I've been left with a loud metallic rattle at idle. The engine has a reputation for being noisy at the best of times but this is different and was not there before before I started. The noise stops when the revs are increased or when the a.c is switched on so is when the tension is increased. I am thinking aux belt tensioner bearings but can't explain why as it was O.K. before I started. I have increased the idle speed temporarily to reduce the rattle, so I can hear myself think and have rechecked the belt tension. Welcome your comments and many thanks in advance.
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 206 D Clattering noise at idle.

Post by CitroJim »

Often when things are disturbed they object to it and I expect that's what happened here; The tensioner is a good candidate. It will have been happy in one place for a while and now it's being forced to be in a different place it's not..

Can you see the auxiliary belt flapping around excessively at idle? If so then swap the tensioner and the belt for a new one...

Is something rattling around inside the alternator following your work?

I'd remove the auxiliary belt on a temporary basis and ensure the noise is gone just in case something else has happened coincidentally.

The noise just could be the result of the engine timing being over-advanced on idle for some reason.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'm assuming you have power steering as a UK spec 206 without power steering is not a UK spec car (its very rare to find without in RHD) , as I see you have A/C

These models tend to have as Jim as said the spring auto tensioner and the manual tensioner too. The candidate is as he says but it is needed to run it without the ancillary belt temporarily to just double check.

Jim, its quite a similar erm 'arrangement' with the spring loaded tensioner with the pin hole similar to the later XUDT units (Xantia and 406) on most of the 206DW8 with *both* A/C and PAS. Without one or the other they have a manual "lollypop" tensioner arrangement in most cases.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Thanks for your replies and advice folks. Found the belt flapping about so increased the belt tension and noise stopped. It didn't take a lot but made a hell of a difference. This would follow as noise reduced when the a.c was turned on. I was going to remove the belt as suggested but will still do if noise returns. Didn't fancy removing the tensioner as its the stuff nightmares are made of as far as I'm concerned. I renewed it together with the spring 3 yrs ago and still remember it.
Alan
1999 Xantia Exclusive 2.0Hdi Mauritius blue
1999 Peugeot LX 1.9D silver
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent, delighted that's all nicely and easily sorted :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Edhertz wrote: I was going to remove the belt as suggested but will still do if noise returns. Didn't fancy removing the tensioner as its the stuff nightmares are made of as far as I'm concerned. I renewed it together with the spring 3 yrs ago and still remember it.
It is 'fun' I recall taking one off and changing the bushes and putting it back (on a 406) it was not pleasant. Ideal job when the engine is out though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:
Edhertz wrote: I was going to remove the belt as suggested but will still do if noise returns. Didn't fancy removing the tensioner as its the stuff nightmares are made of as far as I'm concerned. I renewed it together with the spring 3 yrs ago and still remember it.
It is 'fun' I recall taking one off and changing the bushes and putting it back (on a 406) it was not pleasant. Ideal job when the engine is out though.
The TD Xantia ones are similar and just as amusing to do.. :twisted: :lol:
Jim