Help!Buying Peugeot 406 ?or 407 ?estate-diesel or Petrol?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

horseist
My Cars: Citroens : 2cv, Ami, DS23(several), CX (3) . Peugeots: 504, 406's ( had to wait for the first one to be built!)

Help!Buying Peugeot 406 ?or 407 ?estate-diesel or Petrol?

Post by horseist »

Hi, I need to buy one of the above asap on a limited budget. Petrol ones are cheaper of course and don't need mass flywheels etc but do they have their own serious weak points. Sorely tempted to go for 407 SW as they seem to be the same kind of money as an apparently good 406. I'm also told that the diesel engines in 407's aren't as good as the old 406 ones? Can someone help me decide on a path through this potential minefield. Limited Budget.I need lots of space, decent power so at least 110. What is me best option?

Returning to the French fold after many years mainly in Citroens in the past DS's, CX, and Peugeots, had to wait for my first 406 3.1 diesel to be built ! (better times). Have considered Citroen C5's of course but scared to death by all the stories, particularly electronics.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Help!Buying Peugeot 406 ?or 407 ?estate-diesel or Petrol?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

horseist wrote:Returning to the French fold after many years mainly in Citroens in the past DS's, CX, and Peugeots, had to wait for my first 406 3.1 diesel to be built ! (better times). Have considered Citroen C5's of course but scared to death by all the stories, particularly electronics.
Welcome to the Forum by the way :-D

Don't believe all you read - many of the components including the electricals are shared amongst PSA vehicles including the BSIs. I'm on my third C5 (one of each incarnation) and have never yet had any electrical problems apart from the window regulator on my latest - but that's common amongst all vehicles. :wink:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Welcome. Indeed don't be put off by electronics horror stories. It's almost as if, without hydraulics to confuse/scare folk, the focus has turned to electronics instead when in reality they're no better or worse than a lot of other makes.

As you've had a 406 2.1 DT already, you'll know what they were like and if you can find one in decent shape for your budget its got to be a contender. (Bias is in play here, as we've recently picked up the very same on an R plate with long MoT and with 275k miles for £160.)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
horseist
My Cars: Citroens : 2cv, Ami, DS23(several), CX (3) . Peugeots: 504, 406's ( had to wait for the first one to be built!)

Post by horseist »

Thanks for the fast response! OMG got to put the C5 back in the equation. Haven't seen a 3.1 DT 406 to catch my eye. Budget is about £1200 maybe a bit more and I need the smartest thing I can get so I thought the 407 might be most bang for buck bit there is lots of scary stuff on here, wondered if that was why some are so cheap. A decent 406 is around the same price so you can understand my quandry. Lots more C5's to choose from, not sure which is the best model, I need the best MPG I can get.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

whatever you go for, know the common failings of that particular model and you're half way to finding a good 'un.

Also check MOT History on the DVLA site, I'll not bother travelling if its had much in the way of Structural Corrosion Advisories or Fails

High mileage is a really big deal to a lot of people and values for summat that starts with a 2 are often just plain silly (as ekd's found out).

A seemingly honest vendor's always good too: have a question or two in mind before you phone to catch out a chancer
Puxa
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

horseist wrote:Thanks for the fast response! OMG got to put the C5 back in the equation. Haven't seen a 3.1 DT 406 to catch my eye. Budget is about £1200 maybe a bit more and I need the smartest thing I can get so I thought the 407 might be most bang for buck bit there is lots of scary stuff on here, wondered if that was why some are so cheap. A decent 406 is around the same price so you can understand my quandry. Lots more C5's to choose from, not sure which is the best model, I need the best MPG I can get.
From a C5 perspective, consider the Mark II facelift mid 2004 onwards. Diesels will get you the better mileage. Stick to the 2.0 HDis, the 1.6s can have the turbo issues. Exclusive spec. is great if you can find one.

Marc
horseist

Post by horseist »

What about mileage for the C5? Just been looking at a 05 VTR 2.0 hdi at £975 with 130K on it, and is auto an option or best avoided?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Like any diesel - regular oil changes and servicing are key, plus try and avoid lots of short journeys with DPF-enabled vehicles to ensure adequate regeneration of the particulate filter. The 138 is plenty fast and will also return good MPG - again depends on where you live and your driving style. The manual has a 6 speed box and I returned nothing less than 45 mpg (but that is in rural Wales with lots of hills and roads like flapjacks)!, but these can return MPG into the 50s. I would check to see when the diesel additive was last topped up and the service history. These are well-made, soak up the bumps and are really nice lookers.

Marc