1997 806TD not starting ECU or Diesel pump?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: 1997 806TD not starting ECU or Diesel pump?

Post by white exec »

I take it you've checked that the stop solenoid is actually being powered up when the IGN is turned on?
And what was the result of checking that 12v was getting to the glowplugs when IGN switched on?

You need definite answers to these, before attempting heavy metal surgery.
Chris
thomascrook
My Cars: Peugeot 806 TD 1997 Roland Garros

Post by thomascrook »

Dear All
Thank you for you replies
Well after quite a bit of time we managed to isolate the problem in that we can get the car started with easy start and after that if we leave the car running and then turn it off it will fire straight away
If we leave the car for ten mins it will turn over and over and then start after 10 seconds
The longer we leave the car the harder and longer it takes to start?
We are not mechanics but everything points to the diesel pump is not working correctly?
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Tom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That smacks of very low compression. The more Easystart you use the worse the problem will be come. They say that engines become 'addicted' to Easystart. What actually happens is that each use causes more damage through detonation.

You need to investigate further the overall health of the engine.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Valve clearances checked yet, as Jim said earlier these do tighten up the colder the engine gets... After making sure the glow plugs are getting power and in working order, I would make sure the valves have clearance when cold (even if not in spec, at least some clearance would be good).

My semi-educated guess (no more than that though) would be that fuel drain-back or tight valve clearances led to bad starting, then easy start came into the equation and the explosions from this through slightly open valves started burning back the valve heads & seats leading to even tighter clearances, more ether, tighter clearances ad infinitum...

Compression and leakdown checks would be a very sensible course of action IMO

I do have a lot on at the moment, but if you're determined to save the car and not desperate for it back in a fixed timeframe you could tow it to us in Congleton and I'll give it a going through as & when I get a moment. No charge, I just like chewy problems and saving old cars...

You could even borrow the 406 if you wanted to tax the thing, MoT expires in march but needs a couple of patches on the sills to get through another... let us know anyway (the missus will love me haha!) EDIT-: MoT is actually 9th of May so bit longer to run if you needed alternative transport...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: My semi-educated guess (no more than that though) would be that fuel drain-back or tight valve clearances led to bad starting, then easy start came into the equation and the explosions from this through slightly open valves started burning back the valve heads & seats leading to even tighter clearances, more ether, tighter clearances ad infinitum....
I'd go along with that absolutely and they represent the first two things to check...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...