Help needed with sick 207 GTI please - blowing oil

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Markgw
My Cars: None but thinking of 207 gti

Re: Help needed with sick 207 GTI please - blowing oil

Post by Markgw »

Regarding the rest of the damage..

The spark plug for #4 was black with soot and oil, whereas the other 3 were normal.

I've put a tiny borescope camera down the spark plug hole, and the top of the piston I can see looks fine. Engine turns over freely and valve train seems to be undamaged.

As it turns over with the compression tester making a seal, you can hear a completely different sound, more like a suction pump running.

Then when you stop, you can hear the air escaping from the sump.

As is mentioned, it may have scored the bore but I can't be certain without a strip down which is beyond my skills (and my driveway in December).

Hence the reason to sell it as a non runner. Shame as it's a nice looking car apart from this.

I'll admit, I didn't expect that result on a modern engine with 83k on it and service history by the book!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

275BHP from a 1.6.. That's amazing!!! No wonder they're a bit fragile...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bick

Post by Bick »

Markgw wrote:Regarding the rest of the damage..

The spark plug for #4 was black with soot and oil, whereas the other 3 were normal.

I've put a tiny borescope camera down the spark plug hole, and the top of the piston I can see looks fine. Engine turns over freely and valve train seems to be undamaged.

As it turns over with the compression tester making a seal, you can hear a completely different sound, more like a suction pump running.

Then when you stop, you can hear the air escaping from the sump.

As is mentioned, it may have scored the bore but I can't be certain without a strip down which is beyond my skills (and my driveway in December).

Hence the reason to sell it as a non runner. Shame as it's a nice looking car apart from this.

I'll admit, I didn't expect that result on a modern engine with 83k on it and service history by the book!

This just proves that manufacturers are STILL putting vehicles into production before they have been properly tested - This was common in the 80s but thankfully rare now, however that is not much comfort to your brother.

I wonder if you could try a policy claim with Peugeot - i think with a full service history it can be claimed that a modern engine on modern oils should make more than 83k. You may have to threaten tham with the small claims court but i think you may have a case.
Bick

Post by Bick »

DHallworth wrote:It's quite common on these engines, Jim. The THP engines of the 07 - 09 era are a disaster. It's not if it fails, more a case of when it fails. My brother has spent thousands on his 207 GTi (about £8k over 2 years) and things just keep going wrong with it. He's getting rid of it anytime now as he's just bought a Golf R due to being so fed up pouring money into the 207.

David.
Hi David do we know is responsible for the engine design - have Ford had a hand in this like the 1.6hdi
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is a BMW/PSA joint design. The top end is similar to other BMW direct injection designs but this seems to be the worst for reliability.