flickering interor lights heater fast slow

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

flickering interor lights heater fast slow

Post by Welshy_Pete »

The interor lights have started flickering on idle. Also the heaters go fast and slow some times as well. The driving lights do it some times as well.

When you rev up slightly the interor lights stop flickering.

The altanator belt it tight. The lights don't flicker with the engine off.

How do you check the voltage regulator working ok or not?

The battery when engine off needs to be 12.5v or higher?

When the engine running 13v to 14.5v?

306 hdi
Last edited by Welshy_Pete on 19 Nov 2016, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: flickering interor lights heater fast slow

Post by spider »

Voltages seem about correct.

Check the main earth leads from the battery, especially the connection on the gearbox as it can corrode a bit here due to battery acid runoff, the one on the inner wing (I think its there, the body earth) also can corrode a bit. To be honest if in any doubt unbolt them and clean them and pop them back. :)

This might sound an odd question but does your rear wiper work ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

spider wrote:Voltages seem about correct.

Check the main earth leads from the battery, especially the connection on the gearbox as it can corrode a bit here due to battery acid runoff, the one on the inner wing (I think its there, the body earth) also can corrode a bit. To be honest if in any doubt unbolt them and clean them and pop them back. :)

This might sound an odd question but does your rear wiper work ?
The rear motor wiper packed in a while ago.

I started and run the car 5 hours ago. I've just checked its saying 12.30v now. The weather colder now as well.

But when the car running it goes up to 14.5 to 15v+
spider

Post by spider »

The running voltage seems reasonably correct to me.

I only asked about the rear wiper as water can get into the relay (inside the trim in the back hatch next to the wiper) and that can cause some very very odd effects such as the charge light coming on / off. Seen a few do this and unplugging the relay provided a temporary cure.

I'd check the main earth leads as a starting point then as above, then if they are sound (also check the heavy output lead bolted to the alternator is not corroded too) it may be time to think about a replacement alternator...
Andy.

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Wonder where that particular alternator is sensing battery voltage?
If rear wiper relay fault can affect Charge light, does that then have an effect on the alternator, as c.l. is often a key connection for alternators.
Chris
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

spider wrote:The running voltage seems reasonably correct to me.

I only asked about the rear wiper as water can get into the relay (inside the trim in the back hatch next to the wiper) and that can cause some very very odd effects such as the charge light coming on / off. Seen a few do this and unplugging the relay provided a temporary cure.

I'd check the main earth leads as a starting point then as above, then if they are sound (also check the heavy output lead bolted to the alternator is not corroded too) it may be time to think about a replacement alternator...
I took that blue relay out of the boot the plastic cover had come of and inside the relay had gone so left it out.

Just checked the battery over night it was 12.30v now 12.26v. So the battery seems fine at the moment.

I've tried the original battery and another good battery both do the same thing flickering lights and heater speeds.

So how do I test or check the voltage regulator?

I have test the altanator with multimeter on battery + and - it charges up to 14.30v to 14.60v. But it drops every few seconds from 14.60v to say 14.37v then back up again. So there a drop age going on with the altantor?
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Welshy_Pete wrote:
spider wrote:The running voltage seems reasonably correct to me.

I took that blue relay out of the boot the plastic cover had come of and inside the relay had gone so left it out.

Just checked the battery over night it was 12.30v now 12.26v. So the battery seems fine at the moment.

I've tried the original battery and another good battery both do the same thing flickering lights and heater speeds.

So how do I test or check the voltage regulator?

I have test the altanator with multimeter on battery + and - it charges up to 14.30v to 14.60v. But it drops every few seconds from 14.60v to say 14.37v then back up again. So there a drop age going on with the altantor?
It looks to me its now pointing towards the voltage regulator with it charging up 14v+ then jumping up and down the volts?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Voltage should be 14.4v pretty well all the time unless you have just started it, sounds like an alternator problem.

Peter
spider

Post by spider »

I'd agree its time to look for a replacement alternator.
Andy.

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I have flickering on my x7..

I was going to check the earth points but can't help pointing a finger at the alternator .. may send it off to be tested one day soon..
john
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Unstable voltage at idle seems to be something of a minor epidemic at the moment. There had always been a tendency for alternator output to be a bit less than perfectly smooth at very low revs (engine idling), often causing visible flicker on the interior overhead light. Increasing engine revs slightly makes the flicker disappear.

(Some V8 engines used to suffer from inadequate alternator output, because of their leisurely tickover speed. Fitting a slightly smaller alternator pulley was a common fix, to increase alternator revs. I'm not suggesting this as a way forward here.)

It has been reported that some poorly-refurbished (exchange) alternators perform badly with respect to stable and dependable output. Where this problem occurs, I wonder whether the alternator is OE or not?
Chris
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

white exec wrote:Unstable voltage at idle seems to be something of a minor epidemic at the moment. There had always been a tendency for alternator output to be a bit less than perfectly smooth at very low revs (engine idling), often causing visible flicker on the interior overhead light. Increasing engine revs slightly makes the flicker disappear.

(Some V8 engines used to suffer from inadequate alternator output, because of their leisurely tickover speed. Fitting a slightly smaller alternator pulley was a common fix, to increase alternator revs. I'm not suggesting this as a way forward here.)

It has been reported that some poorly-refurbished (exchange) alternators perform badly with respect to stable and dependable output. Where this problem occurs, I wonder whether the alternator is OE or not?
I've checked its a genuine valeo.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Might be worth getting it tested/checked by a reputable workshop. Quite possoble that a Valeo (or any other main brand) has been refurbed at some point, with inferior regulator components. Worth checking, too, the connections at the alternator, and at the battery terminals, to make sure they are all clean.

The battery voltage itself will not flutter - only the alternator output can do this.
Chris