1,6HDI strange problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sanyo21
My Cars: Mazda 3 1,6HDI 2005 DI turbo Y6 engine 110HP

1,6HDI strange problems

Post by sanyo21 »

Hello Everyone,

I am new but read many many of this forum. I have a Mazda 3 1,6 Di turbo with Y6 177k km engine. Its seems same as peugeot 307 1,6HDI thats why i try to ask here.

My sympthom is: car has no power at all and has some oil in the inlet manifold (after new turbo aswell) and blue smoke coming if i press throttle pedal. Before all the changes below car stopped if i travelled like 100km than cooled for like an hour than its restarted. Now after all the changes its heasitating a lot some times feels like at a STOP table cant have enough power to start. I have one P138b fault code glow plug control fail. At warm engine it also can cause problems? (just realised now this fault code)

After many reading on forum did these:

- got a new rebuilt turbo
- got a new catalystic converter (its a non DPF one)
- got new made in germany MAF
- got new EGR valve (dont know the manufacturer)
- new FRP sensore
- new pierburg turbo pressure valve
- new oem fuel filter
- of course after turbo change new oil filter new oil new air filter and cleaned all the pipes also the intercooler
- injectors checked and got new seals by garage

Sadly its a mazda and it was said Lexia wont work than i bought Vpecker and made some measurements:

video1: constant RPM MAF and EGR doing strange things (MAF controls EGR? ):

video2: at engine brake EGR close:

video3: at idle

Sadly Vpecker has these datas. Maybe bad quality EGR? Bad mixture of fuel ? Bad timing? Also if the injector seals good where comes the oil? I am really disappointed after these expensive repairs.
Last edited by myglaren on 03 Oct 2016, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube links fixed
BX
My Cars:

Re: 1,6HDI strange problems

Post by BX »

The problem is probably the glow plugs. With Peugeot or Citroën software in the ECU the glow plug error is simply a silent code. The only symptom is slightly rough tick over and perhaps a little smoke after starting a very cold engine. With Ford software limp mode is usually implemented. 3000 rpm can only be reached with a struggle and you have very little power. Your Mazda is a variant of a Ford Focus. I feel that you may have spent a lot of money unnecessarily.
I wouldn't worry about a little oil in the inlet manifold.
sanyo21

Post by sanyo21 »

Thank you for your advice. I will change the glow plug relay when is have time. Do you know how to measure if the plugs fine or not?

From six little leg 4 is for the glow plugs right? With continious reading i can check the cabels wich coming from plugs to these little legs + ground?

About limp mode:
Back in time when i had a faulty EGR valve car went to limp mode with check engine light. Is it possible to go to limp mode w/o this light ? The feel is really like that but no CEL on.

Sorry for many questions after tons of money spent i am very dissapointed.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The only reliable way to check glow plugs is to remove them and apply 12V to them. Observe that they start to glow near the tip. You can check them for resistance whilst they are still in the engine (less than 1ohm) but they can have an internal failure where they heat back at the threaded body rather than the tip.
You may have a problem with the relay but I think that faulty plugs are much more likely. The plugs are fitted to the back of the engine. The first check is to test with a test lamp that they are getting supplied when the ignition is turned on. They are only activated for a very short time. There might be also a post heating function where they are activated or often pulsed on and off for a period after the engine is started. Even though this is entirely a PSA engine often with the same injection and control systems the software can be considerably different from one make to another. You need to check the information specific to Mazda.
I am not sure about the operation of the malfunction indicator lamp. Some makes use two different ones. One lamp indicates faults mandated by EOBD regulations the other is lit for other engine malfunctions. Read the handbook. If you do not have one o am sure it is available for download, perhaps even from the official Mazda website.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sadly, getting the glowplugs out is far from straightforwards, due to their propensity for seizing in the head and snapping off.... :roll:
Richard W
sanyo21

Post by sanyo21 »

Thank you for advices. I will look after the datas. At weekend will take off the inlet manifold from the cylinder to clean so hope for space to the plugs. My car right now feels like a 40HP car. With strong booming noise blue smoke. I am worrying about its like bed timing for air in and smoke out however car starting fine.
sanyo21

Post by sanyo21 »

now i have strange noise when i stops the car:

_
Last edited by myglaren on 11 Oct 2016, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube link