207 Jacking Point?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 207 Jacking Point?

Post by CitroJim »

Just as is... No reason not to put a bit of thin rubber between if you feel the need, say, a bit of old bile inner-tube
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jay1762
My Cars: Peugeot 207 GT 2008

Post by Jay1762 »

Cool many thanks :)
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

personally, I'm dead against jacking or Axle Stands on Cills, it may well be safe, but its not my preference; partly as I'm usually working on 20 year old cars whereby a degree of corrosion is inevitable.

Images of the underside of a Pug 405 borrowed from the relevant 405 BoL. Obviously a 405 isn't a 207, but it won't be THAT different under there; and the principles of jacking on front Sub-Frame / Rear Suspension (not sure if the 207's got a rear axle as such) apply.

I've inserted text close to arrows '8' and '12' on the front pic
Rear pic, the pink arrows (just outside of the Shock Absorber mounts) are where I jack and the yellows are where I axle stand.

Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:personally, I'm dead against jacking or Axle Stands on Cills, it may well be safe, but its not my preference; partly as I'm usually working on 20 year old cars whereby a degree of corrosion is inevitable.
In an older car where you do not trust the integrity of the sills, that is acceptable and wise but we are speaking of a relatively young car here and sill corrosion will not yet generally be an issue...

As I said earlier in this thread, if you start jacking and see/hear signs of deformation, suggesting the sill is weakened by corrosion then STOP and get it fixed quick as that potentially indicates an MOT failure and a potential compromise of body integrity which could very well have safety implications.

The only car I've had a problem jacking on the sill was an XM.. Take it from me I've jacked up hundreds of cars thousands of times...

Remember the sill jacking point is designed to be jacked upon and in an emergency, for side of the road wheel changing, this is the only place the supplied car jack will SAFELY work.

Therefore, if you have any doubt about the integrity of your sills then get them fixed so that those sill jacking points can be used without worry the next time you suffer a puncture on a dark and stormy night in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone coverage :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Even when my sill was crusty there was no issue with the hacking point. I expect that's where Jim had his axle stand under whilst doing the clutch. I saw it with the rust cut out and the jacking point was like New and i could fairly see how it was strengthened. I usually jack under the subframe or suspension mounting somewhere, same thing really, and axle stands on jacking points. Then if the wheels are off they go under the car with a long length of 4x2 right across the car as a bit of insurance in case the sill or axle stand fail.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:Even when my sill was crusty there was no issue with the hacking point. I expect that's where Jim had his axle stand under whilst doing the clutch.
I did indeed and as you know, it was up on stands for several weeks Davie!
Jim