307 hdi limp mode

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpy32
My Cars: 1996 zx 1.9d estate owned for 17 years....rip
2001 307 hdi
1999 xantia 1.9td

307 hdi limp mode

Post by carpy32 »

good afternoon gentlemen( and ladies of course)
i have a 2001 307 hdi 90,ive owned it for a few months and its been absolutely fine up until last week when i was on a very long drive from the south of spain to where i live in south west france,after about 5 hours of non stop driving the engine management light came on and it drove like i was pulling a huge trailer,luckily for me i was on the french side of the pyrenees so not much uphill driving and i got home ok.
the morning after it started and drove as normal for about 25 miles and did the same again,but normal again after a 5 minute stop,this has happened again today.(it says anti pollution fault on the display)
Before i take it to the garage im wondering if anybody could suggest anything i could do myself.
i serviced it recently but forgot the the fuel filter,which i know hasnt been changed for a long time also the car was stood for a year or so before i got it.also it has been very hot weather over 35 deg if that is a factor.
ive seen the same problem written about but always relating to newer models,i was under the impression that a 307 of this vintage wasnt fitted with any devices for pollution control.
Many thanks in advance for any replies which could solve the problem.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 307 hdi limp mode

Post by RichardW »

Welcome

Anti-pollution is generic PSA speak for engine management fault. A blocked fuel filter can give these symptoms - I would change that first as it's cheap and (relatively) easy. If that doesn't fix it, then you will need to get the fault codes read and work from there.
Richard W
carpy32
My Cars: 1996 zx 1.9d estate owned for 17 years....rip
2001 307 hdi
1999 xantia 1.9td

Post by carpy32 »

changed the fuel filter today,it was extremely dirty so i will see over next day or so if its sorted.
is there anything else that commonly causes this issue?just seems weird that it only happens after driving for a reasonable length of time.
jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: 307 2.0 hdi 110
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Post by jimmymarsbar »

The car going into limp mode could be many things, which is why getting the fault codes read on Peugeot Planet or Diagbox will give you more of an indication.