My new 406 - Air con + other gripes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

praxibetel
My Cars: Previous:
206 2.0 HDi

Current:
406 2.0 HDi - remapped 150 hp
Mazda MX-5 mk1 1.8 (it has French tyres?)

My new 406 - Air con + other gripes

Post by praxibetel »

Hi all, recently got my 406 HDi and overall I'm extremely pleased with it, quick, great to drive and supremely comfortable. :-D However, the air con doesn't work, and from what I can gather it's an electrical problem as the compressor doesn't click on and there's no voltage at the connector to the compressor clutch. I'd be pleased if it were a simple fix like changing a relay... another more minor issue is that all of my windows creak and rattle when they're partially wound down, is this a common thing?
406 2.0 HDi - with 150 hp remap from HDi-Tuning
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: My new 406 - Air con + other gripes

Post by spider »

The compressor will not click (and there will be no power there) if the gas pressure is too low. :)

This is to protect the compressor itself mainly, they don't last very long without gas/oil in them.

There is a possibility of an electrical issue with it however my initial thought is you have no gas. You can test the compressor (kind of) by applying a voltage to it to see if it clicks (the compressor clutch) however I strongly recommend if you do this you do *not* have the engine running, the test is simply to confirm the compressor clutch is at least alive.

A bit of silicone spray (not too much or it will make a mess on the glass inside the runner channel (open the window fully then spray a little bit into the runner at the rear of the window in the middle of the door) may help with the creak.

Final thing with the aircon, do the radiator fans work at all ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
praxibetel
206 2.0 HDi

Current:

Post by praxibetel »

Ah that's good to know, I should probably at least get the pressure checked before I start trying to find faults elsewhere. The radiator fan does spin up when I've run through all the tests in Peugeot Planet, I've not had it standing or in traffic for long enough to notice the fan kick in due to the temperature yet.

As for the windows I've tried silicon grease in the runners, might have to take the door card off at some point and see if I can sort something out there. I just thought it was interesting that all 4 windows are doing the same thing :lol:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

:) Yes I'd start with a gas check first before getting too involved, as I say if there's no pressure or very little it won't work at all. There will be no attempt to start the compressor etc.

Window: I guess there could be minor wear in the clips / runner but all four makes this seem very unlikely. :) Take care with the large 'foamy' sheet if you're going to take a look under the door trim. It is possible with (some) care with a razor blade to carefully slice through the adhesive so you can restick it, it is a royal pain and slow but its quite effective. If nothing obvious is amiss some general purpose grease on the runners would be a thought while you are there.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
praxibetel
206 2.0 HDi

Current:

Post by praxibetel »

Yup so next thing to do is to get it regassed, even if the problem is elsewhere it could probably use it anyway.

I've also tried inserting a cruise control stalk and activating via PP, but I can't get it to actually cruise. Are there any other parts I need to get hold of, besides a clutch switch as I already have one fitted?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might also need a switch on the brake pedal. There should be two (possibly combined into one unit). The normal one is a push to MAKE type, for the brake lights, while the extra one is a push to BREAK, to disengage the Cruise Control. If this extra switch is missing the CC cannot work, as this circuit will be open circuit.

I have fitted CC to my C5 Mk1, and I did ask what else I would need (other than the CC stalk and a Lexia), and was informed about that switch. My C5 has the combined switch. Take a look at the brake pedal (on the C5 the relevant area is near the glove box), and (if it follows the C5 routine) you will either have one switch with the plug connected and a hanging plug (probably red in colour), two switches with plugs connected, or one switch with one plug and none hanging. The first two options will have 2 wires per plug, the last will have 4 wires to the plug.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
praxibetel
206 2.0 HDi

Current:

Post by praxibetel »

I'll have a look for the connector, and I'm booked in for a regas tomorrow so I'll come back with any results.

Thanks a lot guys!
praxibetel
206 2.0 HDi

Current:

Post by praxibetel »

So the air con regas went well and it works perfectly now! I got hold of a cruise control brake pedal switch and a plastic clip to hold it in place. It's definitely a push to break switch. There was an extra hanging red connector in the correct place but it didn't quite fit so I 'modified' the cruise switch with some wire cutters, but the cruise control still refuses to do anything. I'm pretty sure I activated it correctly in Peugeot Planet so there must be something else I'm missing?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Hi.. there could be two places to activate the switch.. its a possibilty.. i think its this way with the c5

John
praxibetel
206 2.0 HDi

Current:

Post by praxibetel »

Turns out I just needed to fiddle around with PP a bit more. Works great now ;) Thanks everyone for your help!