Pug Starting Problems and Immobilizer

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter D
My Cars:

Pug Starting Problems and Immobilizer

Post by Peter D »

Two problems here that I need help with. 1/. My daughter has a Pug 106 1.1 98 Look 2 and occasionally when it starts it ticks over really slowly and rough but has no throttle response at all. Stop the engine and restart and all is well. I have checked all connections, all sensors and all is OK, stepper motor OK, 2/. Again, occasionally the immobiliser does not recognise the key and just does not start, clearly. I have wired an LED to the Anti theft link and sure enough sometimes it does not see the key. I have checked the detector coil in the ignition key and all seems fine. Is there a sensible method of bypassing the immobilizer so she can run the car for a few weeks to pin down the problem. You may not wish to post the answer on grounds of security so email me the fix. Regards Peter
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter D</i>

I have checked the detector coil in the ignition key and all seems fine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
by this do you mean the recever around the ignition barrel ? how exactly did you check this ? if it is an intermittant problem with this recever then the only way to rule it out is to replace it.
have you tried using a spare key incase its the key thats causing the prblem ?
did you wire the LED into the CPH unit next to the steering column ? which wire/pin did you put it onto ? whenever it doesent start does the LED flash ?
have you replaced any parts (imobiliser or running problem) ?
I dont know of any sensible way to bypass the imobiliser.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Thanks for your reply. I have wired the led into the fuel pump relay and the coil around the barrel I have check for continuity and its connections. I have tried the spare key but the fault still occures occasionally. Thanks Peter
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

my guess then would be the recever around the ignition barrel is at fault,it sounds like it has an intermittant fault to me,they are not very expensive about £25.
this imobiliser doesent cut off the fuel pump,it stops injection internally in the ECU so i dont know what the LED tells you,there is an output for a warning lamp on the controll unit next to the steering column (used when fitted to a Citroen saxo,its the same system).if your LED is working correctly it should come on for a second or two when you first switch on the ignition then go out,if it doesent recgognise the key it will flash constantly about every half second.also turning the key in the ignition too fast can also cause these symptoms as the system doesent have time to read the key.