New Peugeot 405 owner! and new to the forum! (Need help with repairs!)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dimuka405
My Cars: 1993 Peugeot 405GR 1.6ltr (Daily)
1987 Volkswagen T25 Caravelle C Line A/C Van
1984 Nissan B11 Sunny
2012 Toyota Allion

Re: New Peugeot 405 owner! and new to the forum! (Need help with repairs!)

Post by Dimuka405 »

Hey Everyone,

So bad news, my engine is not in good shape, a few days ago while on the motorway there was a loud grinding and banging noise from the engine and I took it to the nearest mechanic and he is saying one if my valves are stuck, I towed the car back home and also found that the oil has started turning milky again (Steel seal has started to fail). I think considering the age and high mileage of this engine it would be better to replace rather than keep running. what do you guys think I should do?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear that :(

If the rest of the car is in good condition then it will be a very good idea to find a replacement engine for it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dimuka405
1984 Nissan B11 Sunny
2012 Toyota Allion

Post by Dimuka405 »

CitroJim wrote:Sorry to hear that :(

If the rest of the car is in good condition then it will be a very good idea to find a replacement engine for it.
Yeah the exterior and interior is pretty much perfect, no damage or rust, I was hoping to have more miles on it before it came to that, Anyway I have to search for an 1.6ltr xu5 engine, Any idea where I can find one in good nick?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, I'm afraid my knowledge of engine sources in Sri Lanka is very limited...

Do be aware that the XU5 was used in many PSA vehicles of the period and not only Peugeots, the same engine can be found in many Citroens too.

There are detail differences but the basic engines are the same; you may need to transfer some small parts from you old one to a potential new one.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Hi Dimuka,
Well that sounds like the end of your engine,don't waste any more time on it,fit a replacement.
I`ve done a quick google and came up with "Subasinghe Motor Store" in Colombo,Peugeot & Mazda parts. would they be worth a try??
As CitroJim says the XU5 engine was fitted to Citroens and other Peugeot models so don't just ask for a 405 one.I think the 309`s out there had the same engine.

Blimey aren't cars expensive out there!! I had a look at a used car lot and there was a 20year old 405 going for over a million rupees !! that's about £5000 to us.
Do people really pay that sort of money for an old car? I could find you a nice 405 in the UK for less than £1000.
Dimuka405
1984 Nissan B11 Sunny
2012 Toyota Allion

Post by Dimuka405 »

Oldpug wrote:Hi Dimuka,
Well that sounds like the end of your engine,don't waste any more time on it,fit a replacement.
I`ve done a quick google and came up with "Subasinghe Motor Store" in Colombo,Peugeot & Mazda parts. would they be worth a try??
As CitroJim says the XU5 engine was fitted to Citroens and other Peugeot models so don't just ask for a 405 one.I think the 309`s out there had the same engine.

Blimey aren't cars expensive out there!! I had a look at a used car lot and there was a 20year old 405 going for over a million rupees !! that's about £5000 to us.
Do people really pay that sort of money for an old car? I could find you a nice 405 in the UK for less than £1000.
Hi Oldpug,

Yeah the engine will fire and start but there is a very loud griding / rattling noise and I think the Head is a bit ruined. Yes Subasinghe is a good store but they only have smaller parts (Which are also expensive!) and not whole engines, I'm regretting buying this car now :? Finding a used engine here will be difficult but i'll have to given my situation, I've heard from a few repair shops of people fitting a toyota 2c engine into the 405 bay? could be an answer.

Yeah being 19 and buying this was actually a big feat for me! :-D I paid Rs.800,000 for it (Roughly £4000) Yeah people do buy them, Life here isn't easy with our economy :lol: There are used toyota vans 1980's era with 350,000km+ selling for about £20,000, I kid you not, People buy them without a doubt. The only reason the 405 was cheap is because parts are rare (And expensive) and people here have this idea that European vehicles are less reliable and worse off than Japanese so the European vehicle market is small.