Help! - 406 steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Help! - 406 steering rack

Post by Peter.N. »

We are supposed to be going to Scotland on Sunday, due to a steering rack problem on the 406 we were going in the C5. We did a trip to Telford and back on Monday and it was fine, Wednesday it started chucking out clouds of what I though was smoke, it was actually steam, either the head gasket has gone or the head has cracked, so that's the end of that one - nice set of leather seats if anyone is interested.

I then decided to take the steering rack out of the scrap 406 to put in the other one, tried changing the pump but still very little power assistance. Disconnected everything on donor car but can't get the rack out through the hole in the body, 'remove the rack from the drivers side' it says, you can't the hole is not big enough, the only way I can see of increasing it is by dropping the sub frame.

Anyone had the same problem?

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Help! - 406 steering rack

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote:We are supposed to be going to Scotland on Sunday, due to a steering rack problem on the 406 we were going in the C5. We did a trip to Telford and back on Monday and it was fine, Wednesday it started chucking out clouds of what I though was smoke, it was actually steam, either the head gasket has gone or the head has cracked, so that's the end of that one - nice set of leather seats if anyone is interested.

I then decided to take the steering rack out of the scrap 406 to put in the other one, tried changing the pump but still very little power assistance. Disconnected everything on donor car but can't get the rack out through the hole in the body, 'remove the rack from the drivers side' it says, you can't the hole is not big enough, the only way I can see of increasing it is by dropping the sub frame.

Anyone had the same problem?

Peter
Would that be the French driver's side?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Peter.. I replaced my 406 (Coupe rack) a few times a few years ago..

I didn't have to drop the subframe, I am 99% sure of that..
I think it came out through drivers side wheel arch.. I didn't much like the job but that's more access to pipes and fittings not the physical job of removal... it was about 6 years ago and I am not clear about the job now..

if you (or I) do need to drop sub, it wont be much? just undo the bolts and leave them in with a few threads on.. someone else will help more but gutted for you with the C5 and the upcoming trip ;(

you are welcome to have the x7 from me ;)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks both. I did briefly wonder if it did mean the other side but as Haynes manuals are printed here I suspect not. I had a similar problem with an XM and eventually had to remove some pipes. Anyway we are going to have to put up with it as it is, with occasional power assistance as I don't have any more time.

My son has just bought a coupe, I drove it back from Telford on Monday and very nice it is too. Looking at it I am not sure that it is exactly the same as the saloon/estate but on mine its an interference fit of about a quarter of an inch. I tried to lower that side of the subframe but it wouldn't move, then I realised I had put the wheel back on the other side so it had the weight of the car on it, will have to wait until we come back now.

Peter