206 inner tie rod

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chriz1
My Cars: 206 hdi 90bhp

206 inner tie rod

Post by Chriz1 »

Anyone changed the tie rod on a 206 the inner joint has some play in it, do I need a special tool too loosen it ?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 206 inner tie rod

Post by spider »

Chriz1 wrote:Anyone changed the tie rod on a 206 the inner joint has some play in it, do I need a special tool too loosen it ?
A neighbour was going to do this so (about a year ago maybe 18 months) I was able to look to see what was involved via servicebox 'operations' , from memory it listed two tools:

1. A kind of pawl but this was simply to stop the rack moving around, it simply engaged with the teeth.
2. A (if my memory serves) a socket with a tube extension built in, from what I recall it had either pips or cut outs on the end, a bit like the 405/406 lower ball joint tool but with an tube extension already attached to the 'socket'. I'm unsure if Citroen ones are the same in this regard, hopefully you know the type of tool I mean though.

This is all from memory as I do not currently have access to check this. If you can wait a couple of days I can probably find out properly from someone with access...

The neighbour did not actually do this in the end as the car had far too many other issues (unrelated) so it was traded in. I think they got about £200 for it (it was an 06 plate 1.4HDi too)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Chriz1

Post by Chriz1 »

Yeah if you find out please let me know,
I think it maybe a crowd foot spanner/socket attachment not 100% sure though
spider

Post by spider »

Chriz1 wrote:Yeah if you find out please let me know,
I think it maybe a crowd foot spanner/socket attachment not 100% sure though
I was not able to save the image however it showed two tools, one that engaged in the rack 'teeth' mainly to keep it still
The other was as I thought a kind of tube with an end fitting to unscrew it. Although they were line drawings without any detail unfortunately.
Andy.

Chriz1

Post by Chriz1 »

Ok no problem, that's my job this weekends while cleaning the egr, well attempting the egr then! I will take the boot off and see how it all works.

Cheers for you to help
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have one of these, it's is a kit with 3 different size heads, makes the job an absolute piece of cake. I can replace one in 10 mins.
Tbh, not sure how I ever got on without it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Steeri ... SwVFlT36oL
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
spider

Post by spider »

Yes it looked vaguely like that. :)

The other tool simply sat in the 'teeth' and then it abutted against the subframe, basically it was there to stop the rack from moving.

The only other thing it said was to turn it to full lock on the side you wanted to work on (obvious!) then turn it back 1/4 to 1/2 turn, the lock it in place. I guess this is so you do not strain anything.

The 'guide' was about doing it in situ though, off the car (I think its a pain to get the rack off though personally on these) it would be very easy indeed.
Andy.

jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: 307 2.0 hdi 110
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Post by jimmymarsbar »

I've mentioned the "peugeot special tool" to people in the past, and I've heard a few times that people manage using a simple pipe wrench.