Buyer's Guide to a 407 Coupe?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ragger
My Cars:

Buyer's Guide to a 407 Coupe?

Post by ragger »

I am seriously considering venturing into the current century by purchasing a 407 Coupe at some point in the not too distant future. I would appreciate sensible advice on the strengths and pitfalls associated with this model. I am aware of the costs involved in taxing the V6s at £490 pa (currently), but I do rather enjoy the V6 in my XM 8-)

I am willing to consider any engine variant and I don't mind manual or auto. I want SE spec and do have preferences on colour schemes but hey-ho.

Also, since I haven't actually tried one on for size yet, are they suitable for gentlemen of notable height and girth?

Thanks in anticipation :)
Regards

Rob

C4 Exclusive - For Sale!
Xantia V6 Exclusive (the Beast!)
C1 Feel (it might be new but it is very practical for local zipping about)
C5 Estate
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Buyer's Guide to a 407 Coupe?

Post by jgra1 »

A manual v6 lpg rob.. I think that in a nice dark blue or possibly silver..
Or an auto 136 hdi would be my choice.. I almost got the former but ended up with the c5 as I tend to carry things on the roof.
Nice looking cars as the 406 coupes were..
John

Ps the amount of screen taken by the sensors is a bit wierd !
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I had a 2007 3.0 V6 Petrol with a manual box.

If you're looking for the top of the range model it's the GT you want, not the SE. I loved my petrol one, it was so quiet and so smooth. Economy on a run was up to about 35mpg if sticking to legal speeds with the cruise control on.

Suspension wise they're the same as a coil sprung C5, ball joints are the same as the hydraulic C5 and the C6. They're heavy cars at the front so are quite heavy on ball joints.

Make sure all the electrics work, make sure theres no knocks or bangs from the suspension and as it changes gear if auto. If you're going to go for one the V6's are lovely, so smooth. The 2.7 HDi does suffer from EGR valve failure the same as any modern diesel, however they will do mid-high 40's mpg wise when on a run, again, sticking to legal speeds.

They do have double glazing and the front windows are prone to delaminating. You can see it in the 2nd picture below.

Mine was a black car with black leather. I kinda wish I hadn't sold it to be honest.

If you've got any specific questions that I might be able to answer, ask away :)

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
ragger
My Cars:

Post by ragger »

Thanks for the replies John and David, they are helpful. :-)
Regards

Rob

C4 Exclusive - For Sale!
Xantia V6 Exclusive (the Beast!)
C1 Feel (it might be new but it is very practical for local zipping about)
C5 Estate