Peugeot 306 keys

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mixalis kal
My Cars: Peugeot 306 Style 1995 5D (TU3MC)

Peugeot 306 keys

Post by mixalis kal »

Hello,
This is my first post so forgive any mistake. My Peugeot's previous owner gave me only two keys and the owners manual says that the car must have 3 keys. Does anyone knows how many keys must this car have from the factory? That I have has not remote control . Thanks you very much. Sincerely yours,
Michael
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Peugeot 306 keys

Post by spider »

Hello.
I was going to ask how old the car is but I see from your profile it is 1995 ?

That model does *not* have transponder, it may have a keypad (or not as you are about on the change year) as a 'Style' model its 50/50 on it having one as it was I think an option. Transponder came in at shape change (Phase 2 or MK2) at mid / late 1997. "Over here" in the UK this was "p plate" registration time, so "p" could of been either shape. That does not apply for you as I do not know how your registration system works.

From the factory if you had:

Normal *non remote* keys then two or three (it changed from what I recall) although it was typically 3 keys when new.

If you had remote central locking (you say not) then you would have three keys when it was new, two remote keys and one normal key.

There is no coding in the key you can get a blank, have it cut and it will work. Or a few more if you need more. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes it is the 1995 model with the keypad. The car has the remote reciever at the roof but i don't have the remote key.
The previous owner gave me only one key which you can see in the link above,and a card like barcode. That means that the previous owner had to give me two remote keys which he didn't gave me. Is it safe to change my immobilizer code to be sure?
spider

Post by spider »

:) The immobiliser code is not in *any* way related to your keys on the MK1 / Phase 1 / < 97 models. :) You can change it as you wish.

I bet you have a single button remote yes ? Not a two button ?

When new this would of come with three keys: 2x remote and 1x manual key.

:)
Andy.

mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

You are absolutely right. The previous owner had the one button remote key. I talked with Peugeot and they told me that the remote key isn't available anymore. Could I find it with a different way?
Also I have problem with my immobilizer. I think that it is crazy. Sometimes (not always)a enter my password and the red light stays on .(the car can't start)I am typing in again and both lights says on .(the car can't start again) .then I enter again then and the green light turns on. Then I can start the car.i forgot to tell that every time I type in the password (which is always right) I hear 3or four beeps.
But this doesn't happen always.there are days it works perfect .i don't know if the reason is that I disconnect the battery.
Some other times I connect the battery, I turn the key and the green light is already on and i can start the car.
Is there any idea what happens and my immobilizer got crazy. I don't want to disable it because there are many thieves here. Do you think if I change the keypad the problem will be fixed? Thank you for your time.
spider

Post by spider »

The single button remote I (think, I'm not 100% sure) is the same as the 106/405 ones. By this its not 'coded' (the two button you can code 'at home' easily), the 'single button infra-red' ones come as a "unit" you have to buy the receiver (in the roof) and the remote part of the key. If the number is still on the receiver you can get a new remote (they come coded and work) , I am very surprised they are not available anymore. 306 might rely on the under the seat control box.

I would if its cheap be tempted to get one from a scrap car if you can. Get the receiver from the roof and the control box (under front seat might be under right hand seat even on LHD car I'm not sure) as well as the key 'remote' part.

The keypad is just the keyboard :) There is nothing in it. The code is in the ECU itself on a petrol engine. :) , if both red/green lights are on it means there is a communication problem normally.

In the engine bay you may see some large round plugs, if you can (carefully!) unscrew these (disconnect battery first!) and check they are not corroded inside as that is the normal problem. Look at the ones near the battery area. If it will not unscrew please do not force it as the plastic can break.

With a (working!) remote you can set it so when you unlock the car with the remote you have 30 seconds automatically of "green light" so you do not need a code. This is set / unset with the keypad (I would have to look up the sequence to do this as I've forgotten) , or in normal mode its always red until you enter the code.

The 'service mode' (no one should really use this as its not brilliant) could be the cause but that would mean that you were using the wrong code and it would not work after battery removal (you've already done this) so it is not that. :)
Andy.

mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

Thanks,
I noticed that the problem started when I used service mode for first time.when after the service I typed my master password the two lights turned on. Could this mean something?also, it is difficult (very difficult) to push some numbers. Do you think that a well working keypad protects enough the car?i am asking because my engineering suggested me to disable it.
I would like to ask you if service box is free in the uk because here only engineers have access.
Sincerely yours,
Michael
spider

Post by spider »

You're welcome.

The 'problem' with some buttons is just the keypad itself wearing out. You can change it (get one from another 306) and just plug it in. Disconnect battery first.

They can be unreliable sometimes unfortunately. To be fair they have not got worse, in my opinion (and I was "around" when they came out originally) they always could be a bit "odd" sometimes. Having said that if it works OK for you I'd suggest leaving it alone.

A well versed thief would not have much trouble (especially on the earlier models say 95 or 94) in disabling it. I can't go into specifics here obviously but a small change was done to the wiring of it around this time (I think mid 95) to stop 'something' happening.

Servicebox should work I would expect. Only a few parts are free however (even here) what are you actually looking for ? I may be able to get you some information. :)
Andy.

mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

Thank you very much.
Mine is manufactured in 08/08/1995. Is the wiring changed ? The only change I can see is that I have the S button instead of D/N. If saying "something" you mean the trick with the battery and the key at M position , I have to tell you that unfortunately it works with my car...
Today I turned the key and I saw that the light was green , but I hadn't typed the password. It was ready for me and it started.
Then I disconnected the battery 4 more times but it was happening the same.
I checked the wires as you told me yesterday and it is everything ok.
Is there something else I can do to make it work again? The truth is that every time I manage to start the car but today it wasn't necessary to enter the password.
mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

I was searching for a one button remote key at service box. Could you please check if it is available in the uk?
spider

Post by spider »

mixalis kal wrote:I was searching for a one button remote key at service box. Could you please check if it is available in the uk?
The 'M Trick' does not work with the later ones. That was not what I meant though, there is another way. ;)

Its the same as the 405 / 106 units "order to match" for the single button ones as I thought it was. Item part number for the remote key is 655TN (you need the code from the roof unit) or to order a 'complete' set its 6552RT

I'm unable to check if its available or not though. Hopefully this helps ? :)

Andy.

mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

Thank you so much!!
I didn't know that there is and another trick.. That made me really curious..
The NFP near the product code means that this product isn't in production anymore.
I really appreciate your opinion, so I would like to tell me what do you think about the keypad abolition. Is there any other trick to keep my car safe?also i would like to ask you if my car (306 1995 style TU3MC) has obd port and if there is any way to reset the bsi unit. Thanks again
spider

Post by spider »

I don't think you'll have a standard OBD (I could be wrong) although a generic fault code reader (if you can plug it in) will read some codes. It won't read things like ABS or SRS codes though I think.

A mechanical steering wheel lock is not a bad idea. A 'stoplock' for instance. Get one that is grey (not yellow) as its a solid metal bar. This way someone will have to cut the wheel (or bring their own!) to take it away.

Ultimately if someone wants it, they will take it. :( The best action is to just make it too much trouble so they move onto an easier target.

You do not have a BSi only a standard ECU. BSi started to appear about 2000
Andy.

mixalis kal

Post by mixalis kal »

Thanks for your reply!!
Your information is valuable. Is there any way to reset the ECU? I think that if I manage this the keypad will work perfect again. I remembered that this problem started when I set my alarm system. I went back to the electrician and disconnected the function that cuts the fuel pump off. But the problem didn't gone. Is it possible to be the alarm responsible for the keypad confusion?
spider

Post by spider »

Keypad has *no* effect on alarm. The remote key does. They are not directly related.

Alarm 'relay' cuts starter too. This was probably removed (some models do not have a relay just a metal 'link bar')

AWhat I am saying is the alarm issues are not in any way connected to the keypad itself. :)

The way the keypad interacts with the ECU is sort of complicated. A separate unit is sometimes fitted (known as a texton) although this may be for transponder units.

If you have had enough of your keypad, get it to green (so its ready to start) and unplug it.

If you do not plug it back in , it will not be able to tell the ECU to "lock" , there is a (slight) chance if you disconnect the battery you may have to replug in the keypad again but its only a slight chance.
Andy.