Anti pollution fault, 2002 2,2 406 petrol 3FZ EWJ4

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lochraceness

Anti pollution fault, 2002 2,2 406 petrol 3FZ EWJ4

Post by lochraceness »

Hello all, and good morning :-)

My sister has a 2002 406 that recently lit the engine controll lamp and exclaimed 'anti pollution fault' in the info display. When I touch the throttle pedal, there are virtually no reaction whatsoever. Max revs are approx 1200 rpm at the moment.

I have used my ebay/delphi-pc clone for reading out fault codes and I get two identical, persisting codes that says 'P1112 rail pressure signal; over the upper threshold'.

I did find a loose wire, that I connected to the bottom of a round plastic box on the right handside of the car (drivers side in UK, near the radiator). I believe this box to be a part of the engine breather system. After I had connected the wire, I got the following fault codes:

P1112 rail pressure signal; over the upper threshold
P1112 rail pressure signal; over the upper threshold
- these two are very persistent, and I have not been able to make them go away yet.
P1622 Manifoild pressure / mass air flow; throttle position correlation at idle
P1621 Ecu fault, internal fault.
- I was able to erase these last two codes, and have not seen them since, but I have only run the fault code program once.

I also must add that there was ice in the engine breather system when I dismantled the round box for plugging in the loose wire.

I am in need of some input in order to get me going to find and correct the fault of this car please. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers, Lochraceness
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Anti pollution fault, 2002 2,2 406 petrol 3FZ EWJ4

Post by RichardW »

Can you read live data on your scanner? You really need to see what the rail pressure. If you can't and can get no access to a Lexia / Diagbox to do so (where are you?), then I would be tempted to change the rail pressure sensor and / or the pressure control valve. If you post up the VIN I can get the part Nos / prices for you.
Richard W
lochraceness

Post by lochraceness »

Thank you very much for your reply!

I can read live data with my scanner, but I have no recollection of seeing rail pressure on there. I'm not sure, but I think I would have reacted to it and taken a note of it if I saw it. Will check this out later, but it might be some time before I get a chance to do it as the car and I usually are on different places.

One of the problems for me to grasp this, is that I can see no fuel pressure regulator or return line on this car. Any information on how this actually works on this car, are most welcome :-) Also any information on where the rail pressure sensor are located will be happily received.

Both the car and I are located not very far from Oslo, Norway, although there are some distance between us. The VIN of the car is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Any partnumber with prices are most welcome. Thanks.

Must admit I will be going out now, and may not be able to answer this post before this evening.

Cheers, Lochraceness
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's a pressure regulator and bleed off on the centre front of the rail - see this item on ebay: Fuel rail

The pug part number for the rail (inc the valve) is 157088 which is only GBP 38.36 over here. I can't see a pressure sensor, unless it's a function of the injectors themselves. There's a valve on the top of the rail, so it should be possible to read the fuel pressure off there, but given the cost, I'd be tempted to replace the rail and see what happens - but my knowledge of trouble shooting these is very limited!!
Richard W
lochraceness

Post by lochraceness »

Thank you very much for your reply and the part number!

I'm very happy that you too cannot find any pressure sensor; I've been looking for it, but never found one.

As I did get fault code 'P1621 ECU fault, internal fault', I have handed the ECU over to someone who knows his way around electronics. He said he should be able to tell me whether the ecu is knackered or not. He also told me that there was not very uncommon for those 'Magneti Marelli' ECU's to be defective.

I'll keep you posted; hopefully someone else may benefit from my experiences some day. Thanks.

Cheers, Lochraceness