307 rear caliper

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

307 rear caliper

Post by RichardW »

Looks like the NS rear caliper on the 307 has stopped adjusting the handbrake mech for some reason. Anyone know how they work inside? MOT next week, and pretty sure it will get a fail on rear brake imbalance. I suppose new caliper required, but I could do without forking out for a new one this month, given the grand spent on the C4 last week :roll: :lol: If I was to wind the caliper the wrong way a little bit anyone think this would improve the performance for the MOT? I know it needs replacing long term, but if I could put it off till the summer.... :) If replacing with part worn pads will it just adjust up once the piston is extended? The pipe doesn't look too bad, so I think it will come out - but it has a braided section in it, so if not, it will need to be a pukker replacement, no doubt at further ££££!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: 307 rear caliper

Post by RichardW »

Surprisingly the pipe is only £15!!
Richard W
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Make sure that the handbrake lever on the caliper is returning completely when the handbrake is released.
Make sure that the piston does NOT rotate as the handbrake is applied and released.
Finally pop out the piston to make sure the threads on the handbrake actuator and internally on the piston are OK and not damaged.
Frenkit make a range of caliper repair kits. One supplier is SGT Automates who can be found on eBay.ie. Perhaps other brands or suppliers are available locally to you.
I rebuilt a pair of lucas calipers for a 307 last week.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks - these are Lucas units. Looks to me like the OS has already been replaced with a SH unit as it has white writing on it! Handbrake lever returns and is nice and free, it just travels a long way before it does anything! I don't think the piston is rotating, as no evidence of that on the back of the pad when I had them out last week. MOT on Tuesday, so I suspect a new one is going to be required.... It'll probably be exchange, but that won't stop me taking the other apart to see what is (or rather isn't!) going on!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Brakes scraped through MOT! Looks like re-built calipers can be had for £30 on e-bay so I will get one of those to fit, and then see what it going on in the old one.
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Given the availability of replacement (hopefully of decent quality) calipers these days it does not really seem worthwhile in most cases doing a rebuild. I would however as you plan probably want to dismantle the old one out of curiosity. :)

More so for a wheel cylinder really, although parts are (were?) available, it does not really seem worth the time/trouble of a rebuild when a little bit more gets a new one. Exceptions obviously being rare or difficult to obtain items...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I got a new caliper ages ago, but not got it fitted yet. The foot brake has started working again, but the handbrake is non existent on the NS. One of the wheel bearings has packed up as well - has got to the unbearable stage now, so I have ordered new discs and pads - got Brembo ones from carparts4less for just over £100 which seems OK. Then I had a look under to see what size the pipe union is - only to find that the NS caliper is now leaking :shock: oops better get on with getting it changed then! Assuming the discs arrive today / tomorrow then will do it at the weekend. I see the NS handbrake cable is now partially pulled on all the time, presumably why the foot brake is working; but I do wonder if that means a new cable is going to be required. Autopsy of the caliper to follow if I can get it apart.... :)
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

What is it with wheel bearings on cars these days ? Or do you just have a particular driving style that munches wheel bearings. :rofl2:

The only car I've ever had to change a wheel bearing on was the front of my GS, which was also my first car - which had impact damage on that side of the car that needed repairing. Somehow I've managed to scrape through 25 years of driving only old cars without another wheel bearing failure... [-o<
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Dunno.. don't forget it had done 80k before I got it. First one on the front was noisy by 90k, second at about 95k and this rear one started at about 110k (now just over 114). Previously I had one done on a Xantia, and the Xsara Picasso had both the front ones done (more than once due to using cheap bearings). C4 Pic is up to 92k now, no sign of any going yet, presumably the same bearings. I guess they are just made down to cost - although the front ones are dear as they incorporate the ABS rings - Pug want well over £100 each! I got SKF originals from Mr Auto for about £40.
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Mandrake wrote:What is it with wheel bearings on cars these days ? Or do you just have a particular driving style that munches wheel bearings. :rofl2:

The only car I've ever had to change a wheel bearing on was the front of my GS, which was also my first car - which had impact damage on that side of the car that needed repairing. Somehow I've managed to scrape through 25 years of driving only old cars without another wheel bearing failure... [-o<
I don't think new ones are as good as the older ones somehow. I'm not really sure why, in theory they should be even better / stronger given slightly better materials and construction.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Je deteste les voitures Francais!!

Hub nut no problem, and the pipe was relatively easily persuaded out of the caliper - thought this was going too easily. Freeing the handbrake cable took ages - no way was it coming out of the caliper (although I suspect this is an aftermarket one as it's different to the other side). in the end no choice but to break the clip parts off. I can't really see what they are doing, but I can always put it back with some cable ties. Then it was onto the caliper bolts :twisted: fought the first top one, got it out eventually after I went a bought a better T50 bit; the lower one however is just a rusty hole where the Torx used to be. Had to go and get some reverse sockets - oddly they do them in Homebase, but our local one has closed, so it is a 30 mile round trip to the nearest one. Not had a chance to try it yet - but if this fails, then out with grinder, and I will sort the stubs out afterwards. Of course, being PSA, the bolts are M10 fine, which are not readily available - there a couple of dealers another 30 mile round trip away, so might be able to get some new ones in the morning; otherwise the local tractor repair place has all sorts of odds and ends so they might be able to supply something suitable.

Found out why the handbrake was not working though I think - the caliper pins were seized in....

Another fun day repairing recalcitrant French cars :rofl2:
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I don't think it wants to get done.... managed to get 2 bolts this morning at the Cit garage, with 2 to come in early next week. Hoping I can save 2 to get it mobile. Back on it when I got home - bolt is just too small for one of the reverse sockets and too big for the other #-o so I had to cut it off anyway. They made a good job of removing the stub though! Got the nearside almost built back up, then it started raining - which then continued all afternoon - heavy showers, then just as it was dry and I got the tools out, started again :twisted: I've got the NS built back up, but not bled yet - the easi bleed was playing up, but think I've sorted that. Eventually gave up dodging the showers and re-laid the kitchen floor I had to take half of up last week - No 2 son dropped a near full 4 pint of milk right next to the kick board and it ran under the cupboard, thought I had mopped it up; but leaning on the edge of the floor squeezed more milk out from under it, so it had to come up :roll: ). Hopefully get a dry stretch tomorrow to do the other side and bleed it, and recover at least one bolt - but SWMBO wants to go out.....
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Nope....neither of the OS bolts had anything resembling a torx head left in them, so both had to be cut off. I managed to find in my spare bolts stash however, a H-T bolt not only of the right thread, but also the right length :shock: :lol: so it is all built back up - no idea where it came from, it is not a Citroen bolt as it is 17mm head not their preferred 16; and it looked unused. Handbrake is fearsome now (once I remembered to connect both cables!), but despite getting to an air free bleed on the near side where the caliper was replaced there is no foot brake to speak of, so there is air in there somewhere still. It can be pumped up on the pedal so I hope it can be bled out. I did give the OS rear nipple a gentle push, but it wasn't for easily moving, I guess I will have to get it free and give all four corners a good bleed tomorrow evening then see where we are at. Given the trouble this job has given, I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself fitting a new master cylinder next weekend.... :twisted:

OSR bearing was confirmed as the noisy one - it feels like it's got square balls in it :roll:

I've got to discs and pads on the back of the Picasso at some point as well - and that uses the same set up. At least I shall be able to go in prepared :)
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Fixed it... re-bled the new rear caliper and another big bubble came out. Pedal rock solid now - brakes better than they have been for a good while, and the silence without the howling wheel bearing is deafening :lol:
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Good work Richard :)