Bad starting 307, 2.0-110hp

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crazydiamond
My Cars: 307's 90 + 110

Bad starting 307, 2.0-110hp

Post by crazydiamond »

Hi all
I'm hoping someone can throw some ideas at me with my Pug 307 110, Bosch injection system. When I try to start her she fires on one or more cylinder then the cranking slows again and the procedure starts all over again until after anything up to 50 secs of starting she will eventually fire up.

When fired up she runs like a clock, I have planet and investigated and have at least 298bar, cam/crank sync, infact everything is within parameters, it just wont fire and start. It's almost like it has run out of fuel and you are starting it first time after? The pressure rail shows while cranking in live data that it drops to about 260 ish and fluctuates back up to 300ish and then it will eventually run.

Yesterday I started it and it hasn't run since last summer and it started within 30 secs :shock: now that being good news kinda threw me regarding air in the fuel line so since it hasn't run for about 6 months I guess everything is ok there, Lift pump working fine, I have changed the HP pump to make sure, its just being a complete pig to start even though it fires and tries to.

I have no white or oily smoke when fired up, leak off produced even amount of returned diesel into to jars over a ten min period, Im sort of thinking could this be a starter problem not creating enough spin and pressure?

any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Bad starting 307, 2.0-110hp

Post by Peter.N. »

How fast is the starter turning it over, does it sound as it did before you stopped using it? Could be you have a weak battery or starter, the engine requires a certain cranking speed to maintain rail pressure. If all else fails it could be the regulator on the back of the HP pump, was there one on it or did you use the original.

Peter
crazydiamond

Post by crazydiamond »

Hi Peter and thanks for the reply!

Well I actually only bought it as a spares car as it was suposed to have a duff ecu, however once I worked my magic with planet and re booted the bsi (re-entered vin number and reprog of keys) it started, so I cant actually tell if it was a great runner before that? I contacted the guy I bought it off and he said that it threw a pulley bearing on alternator and while sat waiting for repairs the batt died and it eventually lost all its codes and ident.

So I can't say for sure how this car ran before but he did say it was superb and never let him down until someone quoted £1500 to replace BSI etc.

Thats when I came along and took it under my wing but...when it does fire up it runs like a swiss clock! I have had it de-DPF'd so that shows no problems in the scans and I have bored out the DPF in exhaust incase the blockage might have created to much back pressure :-D

I have ordered a new starter 1.7kw as the other one did smoke a little last year while trying to start it. So hopefully it might cure my problems and just give that extra bit of pressure to ensure a smooth start.

In regards to your questions: it turns over (what I thought was normal) but side by side next to my 307 90 its a little slower, the battery is fine as its 12months old and its kinda strange that when it does fire on one cylinder is slows down again until pressure is built up and then the other injectors open. I'm hedging bets its the starter and keeping my fingers crossed [-o<

I have tried both the regulators you mention (original pump and sourced pump) but the problem still remains with its erratic starting?? I guess once I have the starter replaced its something else to cross off the list of possibilities but as you and I most likely know it can be ruddy expensive getting there! :(

Thanks again for the input and any other ideas are welcomed!!
crazydiamond

Post by crazydiamond »

Well problem sorted out now, new starter has worked a trick!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done!