2008 107 poor starting - vvt actuator test

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davedougan
My Cars: 54 C3 Sensodrive, 54 Pug 206, 08 Citroen C1, BMW 118D

2008 107 poor starting - vvt actuator test

Post by davedougan »

Hi Ive a 107 which is very poor starting in the morning. Having got hold of PP2000 it showed no faults however I decided to run some of the actuator tests while I had the chance. When doing the Variable timing solenoid test the engine cut out. Is this what it;s meant to do? It's not clear from the screen whether the engine cutting out is the intended result. Thanks
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 2008 107 poor starting - vvt actuator test

Post by spider »

I *think* although I could be wrong the 'test' is only meant to be run when the ignition is on but the engine is not running, its simply to check the actuator operation itself.

Are there no faults showing at all ?

When you say its poor starting, do you have to crank it for a long time or does it try to fire and not start ?

If its the former I'd suggest the coolant temp sensor as if its reading high the mixture will be fine for running but not so good for cold starts, think of this as trying to start a carb engine with only a little choke applied, it will eventually go but you're going to have to crank it quite a bit.

If PP shows the current coolant temp examine this with a cold engine and then examine it again when its hot.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Def no faults showing on PP no tho will give the coolant idea a go as makes sense - it runs fine once warm just a bit chuggy when cold.
Thnx for the idea/
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

davedougan wrote:Def no faults showing on PP no tho will give the coolant idea a go as makes sense - it runs fine once warm just a bit chuggy when cold.
Thnx for the idea/
You're welcome. I've seen that before but to be honest not on a PSA sensor. Having said that its a Toyota sensor...

I'm just thinking that (on non PSA cars at least) you have probably seen an 'old' temp gauge sensor where it reads wrongly all the time so it could be something as simple as this.

I appear to have some test data so you can unplug it (keep ignition off!) and try this:

Around 20c (cold) 2300 to 2500 ohms
Around 80c (operating temp) 310 to 330 ohms

If its wildly different to that (check cold ideally as that's the area of concern) then I'd bin it and replace it given its relatively low cost.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
davedougan

Post by davedougan »

Thanks, I just ordered a sensor from ebay so its worth trying as they cost pennies. Thanks again :)