207 RH Stop Light Failure...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

207 RH Stop Light Failure...

Post by CitroJim »

I have a problem on Robyn's 207...

The driver's side stop light is out. It's not the bulb or the holder as there's no voltage reaching it...

The Passenger side and high-level are good...

Looks like a wiring fault or the bulb failure sensor is duff as the sensor does give odd misleading indications sometimes.

Can anyone supply a wiring diagram and details of how the bulb failure sensor works please?

And indeed where it actually is on the car...

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 207 RH Stop Light Failure...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This might be worth checking. I had a problem several years ago with the offside stop light on my company car, a Skoda Octavia. Every so often it would complain that the stop light had failed, and then the fault would clear up. It turned out that the bulb was faulty, in that the element wasn't secure at one end. It took me ages to pick this up, as every time I looked at it (and tested it with a multi meter) it looked fine. I ended up holding it up in a good light, and tapped it very hard (then I saw the element wasn't vibrating properly). A new bulb sorted that one out.

Oops, just re-read your post, and realised that you aren't getting power, not a dodgy bulb. Sorry!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

PM on its way, Jim...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All fixed now, struggling in the dark and confusing which bulb whilst juggling a test meter led to a misdiagnosis and a wring conclusion...

It was in fact just two duff bulbs!!!

:roll: :oops:

I am so embarrassed!

Still, on the plus side, Robyn and I went to Halfrauds to get some new bulbs and whilst there I picked up a 207 BoL which the cashier forget to charge me for...

Didn't notice until we got home...

Don't be embarrassed Jim, I once changed a stop light switch because I couldn't believe both bulbs had gone. :oops:

Peter
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Think about how much they have overcharged you for things in the past, and you will probably find it has balanced out a bit.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Think about how much they have overcharged you for things in the past, and you will probably find it has balanced out a bit.
True James... The poor assistant in Halfrauds had just served a load of Chavs wearing baseball caps backwards and having a collective IQ of 16 before serving me and I think he was still suffering from the experience..

I didn't honestly notice at the time...

Robyn's 207 has a habit of blowing bulbs, especially in that cluster. Odd...
Jim

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

If bulbs keep blowing in one particular cluster, I would check your earth's or run a new one, then make sure that all the bulb holders grip the bulbs tightly, may need a little "adjusting"

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sloppysod wrote:make sure that all the bulb holders grip the bulbs tightly, may need a little "adjusting"
That's interesting as that was the problem on that cluster last time there were bulb failures but it was good this time. I will check the earth though. It's a common earth for all bulbs and I'll follow it back to where it terminates...

Having now seen the proper wiring diagrams (thanks Mike!), I think I know what happened and why I got so confused.. I was pretty sure I could initially see no volts on my test meter for either the stop or tail light.

Oddly, when we replaced the stop and tail bulbs with nice, fresh new ones and Robyn turned on the lights there was no lights at all in either cluster... :?

After a full turn off and turn back on again it all burst back into life and all lights then worked normally!

Looking at the wiring diagrams I see all bulbs are fed via the BSI for fail checking purposes and I now believe what happens is that if the BSI detects a duff bulb, even though it might appear good on test in the old-fashioned way, the BSI cuts all voltage to it - hence why I could see no voltage when testing - and then only restores voltage to it when it sees new bulbs present it believes is good. Hence the reason why no lights at all and then after a reset of sorts it all came good.

Can anyone confirm this hypothesis?
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Happens with the C5x7 as well, I found out when fitting the tow bar electrics....head scratched for a bit, a few bulbs switched, found out by accident :)

Turn it Off and turn in On again .............you should of phoned the Citroen Help Line
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

:rofl2: Enjoyed that clip...

Interesting you've seen similar on the C5 Alasdair, seems I'm on the right track with my theory then...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Happens with the C5x7 as well, I found out when fitting the tow bar electrics....head scratched for a bit, a few bulbs switched, found out by accident :)

Turn it Off and turn in On again .............you should of phoned the Citroen Help Line
Or Microsoft. Isn't that how a majority of Windows faults are resolved?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: Or Microsoft. Isn't that how a majority of Windows faults are resolved?
Yes :twisted:
Jim