1.5 TUD Head Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

1.5 TUD Head Gasket

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

a couple of questions I'd be most grateful for advice on please.

Am gonna be doing head gasket on Daughter's Pug 106 Diesel (1527cc, 'R' plate) soon, its been weeping oil for a while, usual place corner of the block near the alternator; but surprisingly no effect on cooling - not running hot and never once topped up the coolant in her nearly 3years ownership

?? Knowing that its never been boiled, do I need to get the head skimmed before refitting it?
?? Anyone know the Torx size of the head bolts so I can equip myself with a quality key
?? Are the head bolts the stretch type that I mustn't re-use
?? I don't at the moment have a working Torque Wrench, me thinks no choice but to buy one, no way round it
?? I don't really understand what 'shimming' is, but I guess its about the clearance between the camshaft lobes and the valves, any advice or pointers appreciated.
?? do I only need to 'shim' it if I have the head skimmed

Thanks everso
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: 1.5 TUD Head Gasket

Post by Oldpug »

If the engine hasn't been overheated I would see no need to skim the head.
Always use new head bolts,the torx socket is E14.Always use a genuine O/E head gasket.
With the head and block cleaned spotless and the bolt threads in the block thoroughly cleaned out.Tightening is,start from middle and work out,head bolts lightly greased,
1st stage, all bolts in turn torque to 40 newton meters, 2nd stage turn all bolts in turn 260 degrees.(you may find it easier 2nd stage 130 degrees,3rd stage 130 degrees).
"Shimming" is only necessary if the valve clearances are wrong.The valves in this engine tend to "sink in" causing the valve clearances to reduce,so its important to check them BEFORE you fit the head.If you do decide to have the head skimmed the camshaft,followers and shims will have to be removed.
I think you will find that the shims are no longer available from Peugeot,so you will need to find a engine builder who has a selection kit.
After saying all this about shimming,as long as you have a reasonable clearance gap (5 -10 thou) don't get involved,it will be OK.
Naturally You will be fitting a new cam belt,tensioner pulley and water pump I expect.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks everso for that Old Pug, it answers my questions beautifully.

I hadn't got as far as remembering that its only sensible to do the water pump at the same time as the cam belt, but it'd most certainly be daft not to :)
Puxa
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its a popular misconception that a failing head gasket causes the engine to overheat, what does though if its leaking badly is the fact the the pressure build up in the cooling system causes the coolant to be expelled via the pressure cap or overflow, when enough has been lost it overheats.

I had an XM td with a leaky gasket that did blow the water out and overheat when I first had it, I subsequently left the filler cap loose and drove it for about 5 years, but of course it depends on just how bad the leak is.

Peter
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

thanks for that Peter. My previous 405 had the same issue. No coolant loss in this case though. Hope all's well down there in your particularly pretty part of Dorset
Puxa