407 Heating and Sluggish drive

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

407 Heating and Sluggish drive

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

hey all, how's it going? today and a few weeks ago i've been noticing an increasing problem with my 407. It starts up and drive fine for about 25 mins non-stop. the engine and coolant gauges are half way on their respective circles and dont increase. Then with further driving, the car suddenly:

1. begins to drive heavy and engine power is sluggish increasingly
2. When reversing, a loud metallic squealing is heard from the back of the car
3. While driving in this state, the car gently jerks back and forth, even when standing idle in traffic.
4. At this point engine power has dropped and car is feeling as if driving with handbrakes UP
5. Drive gear does not propel the car forward automatically when accelerator pedal is released
6. About 15-20 minutes of driving like this, engine is hotter than normal and smells of burning plastic and wires
(a series of visual checks turns up no scorch marks or burnt wires.

7. LAstly, NO error messages or fault reading are displayed on the Cluster or Multi-function screen. A scan with Peugeot planet Lexia reveals no faults with engine, ABS or ignition. No lights or faults.

Any thoughts on this problem?

thanks
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Re: 407 Heating and Sluggish drive

Post by Sl4yer »

Hi.

I would check if you have binding brakes, especially the rear.

When it becomes sluggish, see if one or two of the wheels is especially hot.

Although, if it's jerking at idle it may be a gearbox issue. But start with the simplest things first...

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Re: 407 Heating and Sluggish drive

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

I just found out that its the ABS pump has an intermittent fault with voltage so that may cause the brakes to bind. Im looking for a used one on ebay.