407SW Diesel 2.0 - Poor running on start up

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kettlesimon

407SW Diesel 2.0 - Poor running on start up

Post by kettlesimon »

Recently bought a 57 plate 407SW diesel. In general I am more than happy, but I am a little concerned at the poor running at start up. It seems to clear once the car has been running for a minute or two. It started off just being a bit "lumpy", but this morning it sounded like it was only running on 3 cylinders and I had a triangle warning light on and what looked like a rev counter. Any ideas ?
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: 407SW Diesel 2.0 - Poor running on start up

Post by elma »

Sounds like you could do with some glow plugs.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No disrespect to James :wink: but I wouldn't think that glow plugs would have much affect on an Hdi this weather unless you live in Siberia. Is it chucking out blue/white smoke when its rough? If so sounds like low compression or possibly a dodgy injector, if it isn't I would suspect air in the fuel system.

Peter
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

What age, mileage and history does the car have?

Its a guess, but based on my experience I'd put money on the DPF system having problems - possibly a blocked filter due to one of the key components involved in a regeneration failing (usually the fuel cap sensor, empty or faulty wiring on the additive tank, glow plugs or cooling fan wiring loom).

Get a fellow member with Peugeot Planet to hook it up and check it over.

As for the triangle warning and rev counter, I got that once when I had a fault with the cruise control when I had a 407. It turned out to be a faulty brake pedal switch.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales