Time Warp 405

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Time Warp 405

Post by evilally »

So I've been building all the parts for my 405 "secret project" for a while now. The only thing holding me back is the shell, mine is seriously rotten. I would happily have paid someone to do the necessary repairs, but nobody wanted the work :-s That, and due to storm damage the windscreen got broken, which Autoglass quoted £260 to replace :(

I'd been keeping an eye on ebay, gumtree and autotrader for around the last 6 months looking for a car that could be a suitable donor shell. Most were 200k+, or were MOT failures due to rot. The problem is that 405's are seriously prone to rot. My '96 shell had extensive rot up both arches, around front sub frame mountings, just about no rear chassis legs left and a boot floor like swiss cheese. I needed something special.....

....and up turned this beauty in Yorkshire, a '95 1.6 GLX, 49,000 miles on the clock.

I paid for it up front and went on the 250 mile journey to collect with no idea what to expect. To my surprise, it was perfect :-D

There is no rot at all in any of the usual places, most of the boot floor still has the factory paint underneath. Sills and jacking points 100% perfect. The paintwork is in great condition and will come up really well with a machine polish. It does have some annoying dents on the bonnet, I'll need to see what I can do with those. Otherwise, everything works. Central locking, electric windows, sunroof, even the air conditioning is freezing cold. It does need a serious clean inside, it's been smoked in :(

Seats in perfect condition:

MOT history verifies very low mileage.

Looks like it was made yesterday.

A quick shot of the underside, doesn't really do it justice.

It has a serious oil leak from what looks to be the rocker cover, but it drove all 250 miles back at 70 with the AC on full without hitch, and even returned around 45mpg. It still drives and handles like a new car, taught, poised and comfortable, I can see why the 405 was so highly regarded in it's day.

Billy bargain at £450 I would say?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Time Warp 405

Post by Peter.N. »

Looks a very nice car apart from the lack of a diesel engine. :wink: High mileage doesn't neccessaraly mean a lot of rust, I have had citroen XMs with nearly 300k miles with good bodies. There is of course though likely to be less damage on a low miler.

Peter
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

woo-hoo, beauty indeed. That's one in safe hands. And 45mpg from a petrol, that's damn good going :)

and yeh, defo bargain at that money. An average one's gotta be worth about 5, and this is clearly above average.

I'm considering a new 405 estate myself if you hear of any, having noticed an awful lot of rot in the rear chassis members, including close to the subframe mounts. Normally aspirated with working sunroof especially.

Talking of which, any advice to undo the unions to the rear wheel brake cylinders without too much fuss? My usual 'rotary wire brush trick' isn't really viable here and its a bit awkward to get a hammer in to tap it. I haven't yet put a spanner on it (as I haven't yet sourced new ones)

Also.... I've acquired quite a couple of bits of period literature on the 405 if you'd like to see it, road tests and the likes, let me know if so
Puxa
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

That's in seriously nice condition.
Look after it!
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks guys. I've been driving it to and from work this week and last, goes perfectly. I had a set of 306 GTI alloys refurbished in black with fresh Toyo T1R's which I've fitted. I'm convinced the Michelin NXT tyres on the back were original fitment, they were in a shocking state. Took a scaffold pole to shift the rear wheel bolts, I don't think they've moved since it left the factory :shock: This weekend I'll be taking all the seats out and giving it a proper vax, wash and wax. The only minor faults are broken wing mirror, non working plip and an oil leak.

If I remember rightly the rear union nuts aren't the standard 11mm but larger. Should make removing them easier but might mean you don't have an appropriate brake line spanner in your collection. A decent heat should see them move, worst comes to worst it's not a long section of pipe to replace, but bear in mind a normal union nut likely won't fit.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I would keep the petrol engine in it. 45mpg, no turbo or other rubbish. Cheaper fuel, cleaner running and no godawful hammer drill sounds on start up.

Save you messing with 'orrible veg oil too Ally. Nice car man!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

I don't know what you're talking about; 405s seriously prone to rot?

405s, like many 1990s French cars, were one of the best for rust prevention. I've had seven of them since 2005 and not one was rotten.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh Ally, that's gorgeous :D Very well bought indeed!!!

I love the 405... One of the best cars Pug ever made (along with the 205) I've had two and one with an identical interior to yours...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree Jim, until the 406 came along the 405 represented the best value for money car on the secondhand market, I purchased several for friends, I have now done the same with the 406. I tried to avoid common rail engines when they first came out but the early Hdi 8 valve has got to be the best engine they have produced.

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

That's is good nick, I would have it treated and re-under sealed to get into all those "age cracks" in the original seal which will be there. Good for another 100K then :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I had a lovely N reg 1.9 GTX TD. Lovely car until this happened to it.

not applicable
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

All this talk about 405`s brings back memories of the one I had in the mid 90`s when I was a Boy racer. It was a Mi16x4,I had the ECU re chipped,intake altered with a K&N,speedlines with 205 Yocos. I used to regularly drive to Germany in those days,150mph on the autobahn,and it would stick to the road like glue.Had to be the most underrated car of its day.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Heard about those, never driven one though. Peugeot are not brilliant at making petrol engines in my experience but I reckon their diesels are the best in the world.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oldpug wrote:Had to be the most underrated car of its day.
I think it was something of an open secret just how good they were :-D

Even their TV advert was excellent...

The song, 'Take your Breath Away' by Berlin is in my top 100 all-time favourites....

Now if only the 405 had hydropneumatic suspension it would have been perfect but in a way it was available in the form of the Citroen BX which shared floorpans and many mechanical bits as per the Xantia and 406.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

CitroJim wrote:
Oldpug wrote:Had to be the most underrated car of its day.
Now if only the 405 had hydropneumatic suspension it would have been perfect but in a way it was available in the form of the Citroen BX which shared floorpans and many mechanical bits as per the Xantia and 406.
IT DID HAVE ! That was the unique part of the 405Mi16x4.Along with the 4x4 system with LSD front and rear it had "active ride" rear suspension.
It had BX hydro rear suspension,an electric pump in the boot and a level sensor that kept the ride height correct.
If I put anything heavy in the boot the pump would kick in automatically and the back end would raise up. Mind you that model was so complicated and heavy,if anything needed doing it was very expensive.Replacing the clutch was a 14 hour job !!!!!!!

Now the most complicated bit is uploading an image on this forum??? how do I ?? other forums its easy,just like attaching an image to a email.
Answers in simple talk please,not computer language.