Need help with weight

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Need help with weight

Post by Deanxm »

No I don't think its that strict, you just have to perform some manouvers, show your in control of the trailer and aware of your surroundings by using mirrors. You will have to do a couple up and uncouple making sure you leave the trailer with the brakes on and hook you safety chain and tail board, check trailer lights, answer you show and tell style questions etc etc that sort of thing.
For anyone else following this I will say that if you passed your test before 1997 (can't remember what month ) you can tow up to something like 8t gtw I think, its only us babies without grandfather rights that need the additional test

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

daviemck2006 wrote:If they really want a test for trailers or I should say a law for trailers then they should make it simple. No test no trailer, end of. The rules are open to different interpretations. If the op sits a trailer test can he then tow a 1.5 ton trailer with his 2.9 ton van? Or is he still limited to 3.5 ton gross? It all seems a bit weird to me. As a caravanner for many years it would be much better for cars and light vans if the law was no trailers heavier than the tow car. I once towed my friends big twin axle caravan with a rover 216. The van was much heavier than the car, but within the cars quoted towing weight. It was scary! I've towed a stock car on a trailer behind an astra 1.3, it was scary also. That was when I was young and stupid lol. I'm not young now and reserve judgement on stupid, and I would not entertain towing a trailer heavier than the car, in fact with my last caravan towed by my 2003 c5 2.2 hdi I was running at 83% That was an easy tow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Totally right, completely agree with you its like they made the law overly complicated to catch you out, it should be no test no trailer.
When you gain a B+E us young ones can tow up to 7t gtw I think so yes you can drive a 3.5t panel van fully loaded with a trailer up to 3.5t, the heaviest trailer you can tow with a B+E licence is 3.5t from memory which isn't as much as the 8.5t? you guys who passed their test before 97 can tow which is just daft, why two different limits there, its just nuts.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Paulwhalley

Post by Paulwhalley »

It's all a load of bollocks all its about is money I can see the safety aspect as well but tax man must have lost some money somewhere so make a new law so that he can get some back there that's my view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

You think this is pointless euro acts (not law) put on us ask the next HGV driver what he thinks of his CPC training and watch him break into a foam lol.
You can now take and pass a full C+E test, receive your licence and...........your not allowed to drive commercially with it until you pass your dcpc training its a right old jolly, to do my job I had to complete a transport managers CPC which is nvq3 level and as much fun as driving a nail through your own man sack.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Me being an auld bugger can drive a 7.5 ton gvw lorry, but I can drive a van/trailer combo up to 8.5 ton. Also a minibus with 9 to 16 passenger seats but not for hire or reward, so can't get paid for it. That's a law which is abused all the time. My last work ran 13 seat minibuses. The traffic commissioners decided to check up on us, I was driving the one they stopped. Luckily I had a full cat d (bus/coach) licence so I wasn't busted. I was only one of two licence holder there so they had to do a very quick take seats out so they were 8 passenger seats!

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Paulwhalley

Post by Paulwhalley »

Yer I know my mums partner drives tankers for bp and is a driver trainer all the causes he has to do and the rest of it it's mad I always wanted to do hgv driving for a living but all the hoops you have to jump through put me right off and when my mate did it last year and then found out that a lot of places want 5 years experience he ended up after spending thousands on his license working in a car dismantling yard on the spanners

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I would need to do the CPC training if I were to get back to work, I don't even have my cat d licence due to my health and meds I am on. I think i will never drive a bus again. My health would have to improve, get off the meds and then spend a fortune on training. It ain't gonna happen. So I'm not fit to drive a bus, but quite ok in a car. That's another anomaly.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Same thing happened to my brother, got his C+E, done the CPC and found he couldn't get a job without experience so had to start all over with 7.5tonners to build up experience bless him, companies don't like letting newbies out on their rigs!
Your mums partner must have adr as well then, hat off to him!
They are now talking about introducing tachograph into anything comercial from 2t up, that would be a whole heap of fun!

Davie, its like drivers hours, you must stick to your 4.5 hours drive limit, daily and weekly rests etc but you can drive a gritter lorry through the night or like you say a car! Some of it is pretty daft

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

But then there are domestic and EU drivers rules. If you only do local work in a bus, I think it's within 25 miles radius of your home depot you can drive 5&1/2 hours then have a 1/2 break then do another 5&1/2 hours. So you ate more stressed out driving a bendy bus through heavy urban stop start traffic yet you can drive longer than a simple dual carriageway cruise on the cruise control at 60 mph steady. Ambiguous rules so no one has a clue what they are doing!

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Paulwhalley

Post by Paulwhalley »

Yes he dose have a adr don't no what that is. I think he told me he has everything on his license as he is ex army he did them all while he was serving

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Yep and they have now extended that to 62 miles 100km, maybe drivers don't fall asleep within 60 miles of home? Or get numb bums when they are close to the depot? We could go on all night!!!

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Paulwhalley

Post by Paulwhalley »

Right I've just been on gov website and they have a tick box stile page on towing and I've filled it it and this it the answer

Towing: licence and age requirements
Check if you have category B or B+E on your licence.

Category B
You can tow trailers up to 750kg MAM (maximum authorised mass).

You can also tow larger trailers if: - the combined trailer and vehicle weight isn’t more than 3,500kg - the fully-loaded trailer weight isn’t more than the unladen vehicle weight

Category B+E
You can tow trailers of any weight.

So this means as long as my van and caravan don't go over 3.5 t and the caravan doesn't go over the unladen weight of the van (2t to round it off) I am ok