Just bought a 307

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Just bought a 307

Post by myglaren »

We don't object to links as long as it isn't spam.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

myglaren wrote:We don't object to links as long as it isn't spam.

Hi and thanks for clarifying that. Here is a link to the cable. What is an OKI chip? We had an OKI printer many moons ago. I didn't get to touch the car today due to domestic pressures, the wife was pressuring me to do stuff

http://www.xobd2.co.uk/lexia-3-lexia3-v ... nline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh buggle
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Here we go again with the mysteries of PSA cars. They are as amenable to generic scanners as any other. In fact they yield more information to generic eobd systems than many other makes. Many manufacturers limit the eobd information to that required by the letter of the law. Eobd is concerned only with emissions related data. If a fault is logged that prevents an engine from running that fault does not cause an emissions problem. Many makes will not yield the fault to an eobd reader. One common example is a crankshaft position sensor.
In any case the scanners I suggested have programs for specific makes. They will read and clear fault codes on the engine, automatic transmission, ABS and airbag systems.
In addition they will give comprehensive live data from the engine management system. I use one all the time and normally use it in preference to a laptop based system i have. It boots in seconds and is powered from the diagnostic port on the car. The drawbacks are. 1. It cannot activate components for example the cooling fan or the EGR valve. 2. It cannot program. For example it cannot code injector or program keys. 3. It doesn't give live data on any system other than the engine. For these 3 instances I use the laptop.
I believe that similar scanners are available from a company called Foxwell but I know nothing about them.
If you only need to do Citroën/Peugeot and you have a suitable laptop then Lexia / Planet / Diagbox is the best option.
doctle

Post by doctle »

BX wrote:Here we go again with the mysteries of PSA cars. They are as amenable to generic scanners as any other. In fact they yield more information to generic eobd systems than many other makes. Many manufacturers limit the eobd information to that required by the letter of the law. Eobd is concerned only with emissions related data. If a fault is logged that prevents an engine from running that fault does not cause an emissions problem. Many makes will not yield the fault to an eobd reader. One common example is a crankshaft position sensor.
In any case the scanners I suggested have programs for specific makes. They will read and clear fault codes on the engine, automatic transmission, ABS and airbag systems.
In addition they will give comprehensive live data from the engine management system. I use one all the time and normally use it in preference to a laptop based system i have. It boots in seconds and is powered from the diagnostic port on the car. The drawbacks are. 1. It cannot activate components for example the cooling fan or the EGR valve. 2. It cannot program. For example it cannot code injector or program keys. 3. It doesn't give live data on any system other than the engine. For these 3 instances I use the laptop.
I believe that similar scanners are available from a company called Foxwell but I know nothing about them.
If you only need to do Citroën/Peugeot and you have a suitable laptop then Lexia / Planet / Diagbox is the best option.

Thank you BX. I already have a handheld scanner but it's for VAG though it does OBD scans as well. I used to have a VCDS computer based diagnostic system but my cable got stolen and I have never had the money to replace it. The Lexia is appealing I have looked at several on the interweb and a lot of them say they don't "work well" with the 307.
What do you think of this? http://www.autoobd2.co.uk/wholesale/lex ... d-794.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh buggle
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

I don't know anything about the different versions or why some of them mention not working on the 307 and often the Citroën C5. The Nemo van is another one but from the little I have seen of them they appear to be more Fiat than PSA. There are 2 types of 307. The can protocol changed in about 2005. I almost bought a VAG handheld unit years ago but was advised to buy an Autel FR704 instead as it had Peugeot, Citroën and Renault already installed. Software for the other makes were readily available on the internet from a well known garage tool supplier who had these units rebadged as their own. It turned out to be possible to load 10 additional manufacturers. Nearly 10 years on this is still a very useful tool.
Hopefully someone will come along with factual information on the different varieties. Remember they are all far eastern clones not the original.
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

My personal experience of third party scanners on my own 307 with known EGR, diesel heater sensor, and glow plug faults and only Planet picked up these faults.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

doctle wrote:
Gibbo_Wirral wrote:When buying Lexia, the important thing is to make sure its a Revision C model. if its a B, no worry there's a French chap who can upgrade it via email for you for a donation. I was also stick with Diagbox 5, but after the upgrade can now use 7 or even the latest version 8.
Is it difficult to install on a computer and or difficult to use? there's some on the interweb for 70.00 odd. I don't want to add a link as some forums dislike them.

Nope, dead easy to install Planet, Diagbox or upgrade your firmware. Its all down to the quality of the installation instructions. These are the best I've found for installing Planet and hosted on my own webspace:

http://nwex.co.uk/downloads/peugeot/planet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NLC (who does the firmware upgrades) provides comprehensive instructions
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
doctle

Post by doctle »

Thanks for that guys. A mechanic that has done some work for me in the past told me to buy Autocom as it works well on French cars. Anyone ever used this?
Oh buggle
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The unit you linked to after myglarens info on spam looks very like the Lexia I have got, and the Diagbox version is high (7.57) so it isn't likely to be a blacklisted chipset.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Yes I have autcom. It is a very good system on many makes. It does well on PSA cars and vans but for most issues I find the autel much quicker. On Peugeot Citroën autocom can program keys, operate most actuators and give live data from the abs system. For example it can be useful to activate the cooling fan or the EGR or to activate the abs pump.
Recently on a berlingo which had the airbag lamp lit I had diagnosed that the fault was in the drivers pretensioner and had cleaned the connector and cleared the fault quicker than the laptop could boot and get auto com opened. Auto com is very weak on Japanese cars before 2006. Recently it failed to read an Avensis ABS fault but the autel diagnosed it correctly.
Another person I know takes a different approach. He sticks with manufacturer specific diagnostics. So far he has collected lexia/planet, Renault clip, OpCom, Vag com and Ford. That suits his needs and what I have suits mine. Each of the multi make systems have their own advantages and disadvantages. I notice that the Autel handheld have got very expensive again. The price had dropped to well under 100euro but has gone right back up again.
On a higher level there is the Launch X431, Autoboss, Autel Maxidas, Snap on and Bosch systems. You pays your money and takes your choice.
doctle

Post by doctle »

BX wrote:Yes I have autcom. It is a very good system on many makes. It does well on PSA cars and vans but for most issues I find the autel much quicker. On Peugeot Citroën autocom can program keys, operate most actuators and give live data from the abs system. For example it can be useful to activate the cooling fan or the EGR or to activate the abs pump.
Recently on a berlingo which had the airbag lamp lit I had diagnosed that the fault was in the drivers pretensioner and had cleaned the connector and cleared the fault quicker than the laptop could boot and get auto com opened. Auto com is very weak on Japanese cars before 2006. Recently it failed to read an Avensis ABS fault but the autel diagnosed it correctly.
Another person I know takes a different approach. He sticks with manufacturer specific diagnostics. So far he has collected lexia/planet, Renault clip, OpCom, Vag com and Ford. That suits his needs and what I have suits mine. Each of the multi make systems have their own advantages and disadvantages. I notice that the Autel handheld have got very expensive again. The price had dropped to well under 100euro but has gone right back up again.
On a higher level there is the Launch X431, Autoboss, Autel Maxidas, Snap on and Bosch systems. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Hi BX
Thanks for all the useful info! It's raining again in sunny Meath so I won't do much today. I agree about the Autel units, my VAG one was 39 yoyos a few years ago they're double that now it is pretty useful does ABS, airbags etc so another handheld is definitely worth considering as is the Autocom. Someone suggested the rear crank seal may be leaking oil so cleaning and a service is my first job. Do you think a Haynes manual might be useful?
I'll report back when I have more info
All the best
Paul
Oh buggle
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Don't know about Haynes. I have an RTA manual on a Citroën and find it good. You need to be able to understand some French though. It doesn't seem to have any of " a job best entrusted to your main dealer" which was common with Haynes. They can be got from Amazon.Fr or from http://www.etai.fr/. Mind you my most recent Haynes manual is 25 years old. I don't know about the rear crank seal but I have now learned to always add the crank seal and the camshaft seal to the timing belt kit. The seals are not your ordinary V lip seals with a garter spring and they do seem to weep quite a bit. I have replaced some with standard seals. Camshaft 27-47-7 and crankshaft 40-55-6.4. the last figure on the seal dimensions is the thickness and generally doesn't need to be exact. If bought from Ford the seals come with a fitting sleeve to help prevent damage getting them onto the shaft. I never bought them from Peugeot or Citroën.
doctle

Post by doctle »

A relative with a 206 tells me the cat is blocked and to gut it to restore performance. Is this true and how do I gut it?
Oh buggle
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Cat is at the front of the engine. Not too difficult to remove. Dont know about gutting it. I guess he means breaking up the honeycomb to let the exhaust straight through.
doctle

Post by doctle »

BX wrote:Cat is at the front of the engine. Not too difficult to remove. Dont know about gutting it. I guess he means breaking up the honeycomb to let the exhaust straight through.
He said when his car was down on power his mechanic removed an asbestos ball from the cat. Mechanic said it was for absorbing water or something to that effect. Car drives normally now.
Oh buggle