Pug 206 1.1 2000 Cam Belt noise

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Pug 206 1.1 2000 Cam Belt noise

Post by ecohouse1 »

I have been giving the little Pug 206 a full service, so came to the Timing Belt. As I had no idea when it was last changed, I stripped the old belt off after locking the sprockets. Fitted the new belt, tensioned off and before I Had even started the engine, noticed that the water pump was weeping. Stripped belt off - got a new pump and reassembled. Put all back together along with a new aux belt and on starting there is a chirping noise coming from what sounds like the tensioner of the T-Belt!!! First thought was I had done it up too tight. Backed off the adjuster slightly and noise better but still apparent on tickover- though disappears on revs.

It was not making this noise on the old belt. Is it likely that the belt is still too tight or is my tensioner on it way out? Its done 63k miles. It might also add that the car was sitting with the old belt and covers removed for 10 days although covered up with the bonnet closed. In case the lack of activity + damp has an effect?

Have ordered a new tensioner anyway and will strip it down again and fit! I wok on the basis I can not quite get 90 degrees twist on the longest stretch of belt.

Cheers

Alan
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Pug 206 1.1 2000 Cam Belt noise

Post by spider »

If its a whining noise (listen without alternator belt fitted temporarily) then the timing belt is too tight. They do not need to be too tight on this little engine.

The tensioner can make a whine or a buzzy noise if its going. You can simply remove it and spin it by hand to listen to it and feel how much sideplay it has too. Given the price of a new tensioner (I see you've ordered one) its worth changing this on the little TU unit (unlike the XUD unit which tensioners live a long time)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG